News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

SVD-186 vs SVD-185

Started by RichColvin, June 05, 2016, 03:25:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RichColvin

So, it was really cool to meet Ken S recently.  One takeaway I have is about the SVD-185 which I've been using.  Ken let me see the difference between that jig & the SVD-186 !   Wow, it is really something. 

Ken makes a big deal about the zinc casting.  I can't speak to that; it doesn't mean that much to me.

The bigger throat is cool, but my lathe gouges fit ok in the SVD-185.  (I only use ½" & ⅜" bowl gouges.). That isn't a deal maker for me. 

But I can immediately see why I'll buy one.  Setting the angle :
  1. is significantly easier,
  2. is much more repeatable,
  3. is more secure, &
  4. doesn't require an Allen wrench.

And, as we all know, repeatability is one of the truest values for the Tormek system. 
---------------------------
Rich Colvin
www.SharpeningHandbook.info - a reference guide for sharpening

You are born weak & frail, and you die weak & frail.  What you do between those is up to you.

Ken S

Good comments, Rich.

The hex opening in the tightening bolt of my SVD-185 was starting to cam out. The new design eliminates that as a potential problem. The saw tooth fit with the jig setting eliminates any slipping, a problem I had also experienced. I agree the zinc and extra size are nice, but the improved jig setting is the reason I rated this jig worth purchasing to replace your SVD-185.

Ken

Rob

wait til you start using a 1/4" detail gouge Rich, then you'll reevaluate why that new design of locking inside the jig is also way better than the old brass ring and rubber design
Best.    Rob.

Ken S

If the newly redesigned SVD-186 just had zinc, I would say it was a nice improvement but probably go on using my older SVD-185.

If it just had the improved mounting sleeve (more compatable with the T3 and T4), I would purchase it if I was turning and using the T4.

Both the new clamping design and more sucure jig setting are, in my opinion, game changers. I would replace the older jig for either of these reasons. I experienced difficulties with the older jig in both areas. In fairness to the SVD-185, for twenty years it was the premier gouge jig, not a bad record.

Ken

RichColvin

Follow-up note :  well, I received the SVD-186, & it works wonderfully.  Just as expected.  (Apologies to Tormek employees, you've set the bar so high that it is hard to say you exceeded my expectations!)

And, for those who say it's a waste to have two jigs :  I say, "nay, nay".  The SVD-185 has been designated in my sharpening toolkit as the perfect, dedicated jig for sharpening carbide cutters. 
---------------------------
Rich Colvin
www.SharpeningHandbook.info - a reference guide for sharpening

You are born weak & frail, and you die weak & frail.  What you do between those is up to you.

Ken S

Rich,

You get first prize in the clever recycle department! l would never have thought of using the SVD-185 as a dedicated jig for for carbide cutters.

Keep up the good work!

Ken