News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

T8 first glimpse

Started by Ken S, May 10, 2016, 04:57:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jan

Stig, thanks for your prompt clarifying response. Your additional technical information is highly appreciated!  :)

Even more, you are like a messenger bringing good news from the battlefield! Your four and half hours sharpening tour is really a good stress test. Congratulations to the successful completion of the test.

My stress test would be simpler, four and half hours of idle running, but I am sure that the new T8 will pass this test also.  ;)

I rejoice with you on the new addition to the family of Tormek water cooled sharpeners.  :)

Jan

Stickan

Jan,
Thanks for those kind words!

Best Stig

Blake

Trying to understand if there are some parts that can be purchased to upgrade the T7. Possibly the new water tray (not the lift mechanism) with the new magnet and scraper. Will be interesting to see how those of us with fairly new T7's can benefit from some of these changes if we are willing to buy a few replacement parts.

SharpenADullWitt

http://forum.tormek.com/index.php?topic=1886.msg9734#msg9734

Jan I went back to the above post and had a look. My brain was thinking the motor rested in a sleeve, that bolted to the frame.  Now, I am wondering what was I thinking about.
Favorite line, from a post here:
Quote from: Rob on February 24, 2013, 06:11:44 PM
8)

Yeah you know Tormek have reached sharpening nirvana when you get a prosthetic hand as part of the standard package :/)

Ken S

The new part I find really interesting is the new drive wheel. The formerly prone to cracking plastic part is now zinc, and even better, it is backward compatable. So, it is anideal replacement part for the Supergrinds and .t7s with cracked wheels. I suspect that in the very near future, just like the EZYlock, it will be the only spare part in inventory. So any of you Tormek "purists" who insist on having the identical but breakable replacement part had best stock up soon or you will have to settle for an unbreakable replacement.

Although not backwards compatable, I am really impressed with the new water trough. Nicely done, Tormek!

Ken

SharpenADullWitt

How to know what drive wheel is in stock now, so one could get a newer one.  Mine has had cracks for as long as I had it.  Not all the way through yet, and the prior owner did something to stop them (looks like lightly expoxied).  But I did have to sand the wheel as the rubber was getting hard, so I would like to see if the new wheel is an all around improvement.
Favorite line, from a post here:
Quote from: Rob on February 24, 2013, 06:11:44 PM
8)

Yeah you know Tormek have reached sharpening nirvana when you get a prosthetic hand as part of the standard package :/)

Ken S

I would hold off a bit on ordering a replacement drive wheel. The new drive wheel, standard on the T8, will probably become the standard replacement part. It is totally backward compatible with all older ten inch Tormeks (T7 and 2000). It is mostly made of zinc, so should not crack. Also, starting with the T4, Tormek drive wheels have used a new patented rubberlike material which works much better. I don't think I would replace a fully functioning drive wheel with no cracks, however, the new zinc model seems like a winner for any damaged drive wheel.

Ken