News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

SE-77 first thoughts

Started by Ken S, May 01, 2016, 09:39:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken S

Stig,

Interesting post. I have both the SVD-185 and SVD-186 gouge jigs. The difference is astounding. The new SVD-186 has a much more solid feel and cleaner machining in addition to the improved operation. I did not know about the redesigned SVM-45 knife jig. Frankly, although the older jig works fine, the casting never impressed my with either of the knife jigs. I thought Tormek would eventually redesign them in zinc. I hope Tormek will notify us of all future changes;we like to know.

With the SVD-186 and the SVS-38 it is easy to certain one is ordering the newest jigs. How can we be certain during the ordering process that we are not inadvertently ordering old stock, especially with the hand tool kits? In a store, we can hold the jig. For a new user, the instruction sheet with the jig should mention zinc. Ordering online would be more difficult.

I also notice that the new SVM will handle smaller angles and has a self locking length adjustment. Are there any other improvemenrs I have missed?

Jan, thanks for posting the density differences. I measured the weight of both gouge jigs on my postal scale. Your information explains the difference much more scientifically.

Ken

Stickan

The SVM-45 came about 3 years ago with the Zinc cast and improved angles.
The handtool kits gets the upgraded jigs before we send our the jigs itself. So by the time the jigs gets out in stores the Kits has been updated a bit earlier.

Stig

Ken S

Thanks, Stig. Good information.

Ken

Jan

Ken, I have the redesigned SVM-45 Knife jig with the zinc cast and improved angles.  :)
I have received it some two years ago as a part of the HTK-706 Hand Tool Kit. My long Knife Jig SVM-140 is still made of aluminium.

The surface of the zinc jig is smooth compared with the granular surface of the aluminium jig. The zinc Knife Jig is heavier than the larger aluminium Long Knife Jig. You simply feel that you are holding a solid tool, a steel like jig.  ;)

Jan

Ken S

Interesting observation, Jan.

My jigs are almost all the older models. The knife jigs work fine, but the finish never wowed me. I have been wanting a second SVM-45 for my kenjig work. This should prove a good opportunity to compare old and new. I presently use the SVM-45 with the SVM-00 Small Knife holder for paring knives; the SVM-100 (now discontinued) with my slicing knife; and the SVM-145 with my chef's knife. All are adjusted to 139 mm to use the same distance between the universal support and the grinding wheel. The use of three jigs means that very little if any adjustment is necessary.

The second SVM-45 would be for the odd paring knife which didn't fit well in the SVM-00. I would make up a second kenjig for this jig set to a calculated shorter distance.

The process continues.

Ken

Jan

Ken, thanks for sharing your intentions. Please do not worry about your kenjig concept and the zinc knife jig. I am sure that the redesigned knife jig will work with kenjigs equally well as the old one, possibly allowing slightly smaller edge angle than the old knife jig.  :)

The surface of the zinc knife jig (left) is smooth compared with the granular surface of the aluminium long knife jig (right).
Jan

Ken S

Jan,

Your photo clearly shows the difference in the two jigs. (Granted, the self locking length adjustment is not shown, but the aluminum/zinc texture is very clear.)

I am sure you understand my motivation with the whole kenjig project, What piqued my curiosity was the belief that using the Tormek is slow. Most knives are dull instead of deeply nicked. With good technique, the actual grinding time seems acceptable. What seems to be time consuming and stressful is adjusting the jig for the proper bevel angle. My goal is to make a convincing difference in set up time and difficulty.

My personal knife sharpening needs, my own kitchen knives, doesn't require speed or efficiency. The farmers' market efficiency profile joined my original plan of simplifying knife set up for beginners or "infrequent flyers". Meeting Steve added the efficiency factor.

The kenjig process fascinates the amateur tinker in me. When math becomes very practical I become interested.

Ken

Jan

Ken, please continue your kenjig work, it is really very useful concept. I use the double ended kenjig in all standard situations.  :)

Jan

Ken S

Thanks, Jan.

I think your double ended idea is a valuable insight. My only reservation with it is that for beginners or busy sharpeners with a large workload, having the double ended feature adds one more decision. I like the idea of having both single and double ended options available and letting our members decide for themselves.

Ken

Jan

Ken, your point is well-taken.

Jan

Ken S

Jan,

One of the many things I like about his forum is the opportunity to be exposed to numerous points of view and grow from the variety of thought.

Ken

Jan

Ken, at the bottom of the page  http://tormek.com/international/en/grinding-jigs/svm-45-knife-jig/ you can find a sketch comparing the improved angles of the new knife jig cast in zinc with the previous knife jig cast in aluminium (dashed).  :)

Jan

Ken S

Jan,

Good find.

I must confess to poor scholarship. Too often I refer to my comfortable well worn older print edition of the handbook which came with my original T7. This edition predates the new knife jig. Sloppy research; I must improve.

Ken

Jan

Ken, do not be so hard on yourself!  :)
The reason why I have copied the sketch here is that it is not in the handbook but only on the Tormek web site. From there it could be removed any time. Just the comparative style of the sketch may be useful for your kenjig work.

If you acquire the zinc knife jig, I think a good use for the aluminum one may be its modification for thick knifes as described by Wootz. For thick knives sharpening the larger jig angles are usually not a problem because also the edge angle is larger – some 400 or more.

Jan

Ken S

Excellent thought about modifying the aluminum knife jig, Jan

Ken