News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

knife edge testing update

Started by Ken S, March 21, 2016, 05:50:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken S

In June/July of 2015 I posted a topic about the BESS (Brubacher Edge Sharpness Scale) and the Edge On Up KN-100 edge tester. I was impressed at the time with both BESS and the KN-100. I am just as impressed today, however, Edge On Up has raised the bar considerably since then.

I suggest all Tormek knife sharpeners check out the edgeonup.com website. I wrote the original topic after using the KN-100.  The new line up of testers is new enough that I have not seen or used any of them. However, based on my experience with the original model, emails with Steve Bottorff and Mike Brubacher, and the newly produced videos on the website, I have faith. Please check out the website and form your own opinions.

The original KN-100 is a very good tester. However, I had some initial difficulties using it. I felt it needed an instructional video. I made that suggestion to Mike. The website now contains numerous well done informative videos. My other suggestion to Mike concerned loading the test media. I have no better than average manual dexterity; the original unit was workable but somewhat difficult for my fumble fingers. Based on watching the videos, the new models have a much improved, easier loading system.

The other surprise is price. The KN-100 sells for $179. In my opinion, that is a very fair price for such a  useful product. The KT20, smaller of the new units will sell for $59. It looks well suited for the home or farmer's market.

Ken

wootz

You know, Ken, haven't you mentioned this here, I wouldn't know they started Sharp line.
Their Sharp PT50 looks near perfect.
I remember reading your first post about the Precision tester, and how I was looking and looking at them on their website, and ... refrained because it seemed awkwardish to handle, and with so many knives 5 and 6mm thick I would have had to buy EST-ME110, which is both costly and overkill for my purpose.
But the Sharp PT50 is a shot in the eye. I think it is cool that your suggestions to Mike Brubacher helped improve his instrument, and the website.
And it is somewhat exciting to buy directly from the founder of the BESS.
Thank you again.

Ken S

Wootz,

I make no claim that my suggestions were responsible in any way for Mike Brubacher's improvements. I think I may have noticed some things which were already on his mind.

After a long period of intense concentration, we can reach a plane where ideas flow. I believe Mike has reached that plane.I first experience it many years ago after much frustration with cutting accurate photographic mats. It is truly exciting and not soon forgotten.

I don't see the two new models as improvements. I see them as expanding the scope of his ideas. From my amateur interest in machine tool technology I learned that testing equipment has different levels. The most precise testing equipment is reserved for the laboratory. This would include the National Bureau of Standards for various countries. As the extreme accuracy of this equipment becomes questioned, the equipment is relegated to the toolroom where it is joined by tools while still quite precise are not designed to the rigorous standards of the laboratory. The least precise category is the shop floor, where tools are used by individual machinists. Part of the function of each level is to periodically test the accuracy of the next category down. Each level is a vital cog in manufacturing.

I see the Edge On Up lineup this way. Each model meets the demands of a particular segment of sharpness testing. The EST-ME110 would be the precise laboratory tool. The KN-100 is slower in operation than the PT-50, however, I believe in skilled hands it may be capable of slightly more precision. i would consider this the tool of the smaller lab or tool room. I can see the PT-50 in either the tool room or the shop floor. I think its five gram accuracy is stunning. It is probably overkill for my simple needs, but what delightful overkill!

I confess I am enchanted with the little KT-20. The twenty five gram accuracy is certainly adequate, and, I can imagine it being tucked into my bowling ball bag with the T4 as a very portable and full self contained Tormek, my "Tormek To Go". I look at the two models the same way I look at the T7 and T4. in a more permanent shop environment, I would choose the T7 and PT-50. For more mobile operations, I like the T4 and KT-20.

I actually did modify my KN-100. I removed the media head and inserted a 5/16" dowel 1 1/2" long between the head and the round top piece. The head can be placed inverted on the scale. It works, however, Mike's new deigns leave my humble modification in the dust. The new models also incorporate the postal scale, a major improvement which had not occurred to me. Kudos, Mike, you have done another great service for Tormek knife sharpeners!

While I like the various edge sharpness testers, I believe Mike's true advance is the BESS (Brubacher Edge Sharpness Scale). By using the gram weight necessary to sever a piece of test media (very accurate fish line like material), Mike has created an accurate standard of calibration which can be shared around the globe. I can make a sharpness test in my shop in the US and have the results understood and repeated in Australia, the Czech Republic or the UK. That creates a whole new standard of sharpness, leagues beyond the old arm hair shaving, paper cutting or thumbnail tests. It also creates a universal language of precision knife edge testing. The two new models make this new standard practical on the shop bench. This is truly exciting!

Ken

wootz

Quote from: Ken S on March 23, 2016, 10:43:01 AM
While I like the various edge sharpness testers, I believe Mike's true advance is the BESS (Brubacher Edge Sharpness Scale). By using the gram weight necessary to sever a piece of test media (very accurate fish line like material), Mike has created an accurate standard of calibration which can be shared around the globe. I can make a sharpness test in my shop in the US and have the results understood and repeated in Australia, the Czech Republic or the UK. That creates a whole new standard of sharpness, leagues beyond the old arm hair shaving, paper cutting or thumbnail tests. It also creates a universal language of precision knife edge testing. The two new models make this new standard practical on the shop bench. This is truly exciting!

Ken

So true. No doubt we now witness history-making in global knife sharpness standardization.
For me it is primarily an instrument to improve my sharpening process and technique.
Amazon won't send it outside the US, but Mike's team ships directly from their manufacturing site - just email them.
Mine PT50 is on the way :)

Ken S

Wootz,

I look forward to reading your thoughts after you use the PT50.

Enjoy!

Ken

stevebot

Happy to say next week I will receive my first shipment of Edge On Up's new testers and their very unique new strop. My prices are a little below EUO because I do not have to pay eBay or Amazon any commission and yes, I do ship outside the USA.
http://sharpeningmadeeasy.com/testing.htm
Steve Bottorff; author, teacher and consultant on knife and scissor sharpening.

Ken S

Steve,

The new strop (the Sharp Pad) looks like a valuable complement for the Tormek sharpener. The improvement in BESS sharpness readings is quite impressive.

Ken

wootz

Quote from: stevebot on March 25, 2016, 09:25:31 PM
Happy to say next week I will receive my first shipment of Edge On Up's new testers and their very unique new strop. My prices are a little below EUO because I do not have to pay eBay or Amazon any commission and yes, I do ship outside the USA.
http://sharpeningmadeeasy.com/testing.htm

That's great news, Steve! I will tell guys on Australian forum.
Amazon shy away from us, and possibility to get it directly from the manufacturer won't last forever.

Ken S

I really don't want to appear like a commercial for Steve. However, having had the pleasure of getting to know Steve one on one, I can honestly state that one rather unique benefit from dealing with someone like Steve is really expert service. That is very rare today. I just ordered a Sharp Pad from Steve.

I have always had excellent service from my local Tormek dealer, Hartville Hardware. They have always treated me right, and I have no doubt of their integrity. However, with Steve I know I receive a very high level of expertise as well as the same high level of service. I value integrity and expertise very highly. He brings a depth of Tormek experience rare with dealers.

Ken

ps In this particular case, between dealing with Steve and dealing with the inventor, Mike Brubacher, one has the very rare situation of having no bad choice. Mike strikes me as a square shooter, also. I hope the BESS standard will become the accepted norm of the forum.

Ken S

Wootz,

I put my money where my mouth is and ordered a PT-50. I ordered the Northern Hemisphere model. ( :) just kidding). it will be nice to compare edge sharpness with a universal standard.

Ken

wootz

Ken, for all the time and energy you put into popularizing the BESS standard, they should be giving their instruments to you for free.  ;)

Ken S

Wootz, The KN-100 I have used is a generous long term loan from Steve. I did not want a free PT-50; I placed a preemptive order for it, insisting on full price. A freebie or a discounted price is here today and gone tomorrow; a friend is a treasure. As much as I like my local Tormek dealer, Hartville Hardware, doing business with Steve is a pleasant throw back to a more personal era when chatting with the store owner was as pleasant as acquiring the item.

For the record, I would be just as comfortable dealing directly with Mike Brubacher.

Being excited about BESS (Brubacher Edge Sharpness Scale) is a good fit for me. I inherited a set of machinist tools which belonged to the father of my grandfather's best friend. The man was born in 1863. This developed into a full blown hobby (passion) for the development of machine tool technology, specifically the science of measurement. Tool standards and precision measurement have made our present standard of living possible. Mike's edge testers and BESS fit right in with this precision development.

With BESS, we can discuss sharpness with a useful objective standard. I think that is exciting! Like the math being interjected into posts, it adds gravitas to our forum; it gives the ancient art of sharpening a much more solid scientific foundation. What's not to like?

Ken