News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Alan Lacer skew revisited

Started by Ken S, March 03, 2016, 02:54:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken S

Reviewing the new SVD-186 gouge jig got me thinking about sharpening turning tools. I remembered several posts about the Alan Lacer skews. These seem like yoeman turning tools. Unfortunately, the larger skew will not quite fit in an unmodified SVS-50 Multi jig. Unfortunately, I do not own a Lacer skew.

I believe the closed seat of the multi jig could be filed out just a bit to allow the big skew to work. As a practical matter, the modified closed seat should probably be in a second multi jig reserved for the big skew. I believe this would be worthwhile for a serious turner.

Am I not seeing other constraints? If so, please post. As I am not an active turner, I am reluctant to spend the cost for the big skew. I Am willing to try filing my closed seat if I knew the exact dimensions of the skew. I know it is 1 3/8" x 3/8". I would prefer to begin with more precise dimensions, either Imperial or Metric. Any thoughts or help?

Thanks,

Ken

ps link to the previous topic:

http://forum.tormek.com/index.php?topic=1489.msg4914#msg4914