News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

sharpening classes in los angeles

Started by Capacete9, December 20, 2015, 03:21:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Capacete9

Hi there,

Does anyone know of tormek sharpening classes in the los angeles area or southern california for that matter? Got me a T4 and a having a rough time with it.

Many thanks,
Evan

Elden

Evan,

Welcome to the forum.  I used to live in the Lake Los Angeles area. That was before I had a Tormek. Don't know of any classes there,but maybe you can find a user that lives in that area. As you are posting in the knife section, is that what are attempting to sharpen?  It is highly recommended that you start with a bench chisel of about 3/4" size. Don't start with a 1/4"as they tend to be more difficult to do. The chisel will help give a foundation from which to build. See the following link:

http://forum.tormek.com/index.php?topic=1565.0

Did you obtain any jigs with your T-4 purchase or are you attempting free hand sharpening? If you describe the difficulties you are having, there are several here on the forum that will be glad to lend you help via written word. Please feel free to ask questions and keep posting.
Elden

grepper

Like Elden said, if you could explain the difficulties you are having perhaps we could help.  There are many very experienced Tormek users here that are more than willing to offer assistance.  :)

Ken S

Welcome to the forum, Evan.

I did some basic online searching and was unsuccessful. However, do not become discouraged; you can learn and become proficient with your Tormek. Your T4 will stand by you well. I have used a T4 for over a year and a T7 for six years. I like the both equally until I have to carry one. At that point, the T4 is my favorite!

I started the basic training post Elden mentioned almost two years ago. Now I believe even more strongly that begining with one tool, the chisel, is the easiest way to learn the Tormek. It is a building block approach. The chisel is probably the simplist edged tool. It has only one straight bevel and is easily held by the jig.  Study the post. Working with just on chisel will quickly help you learn how to use your Tormek. You will learn the feel and sound of grinding. You will become adept at maintaining your grinding wheel with the truing tool and stone grader. You will become comfortable with the leather honing wheel. You will be pleasantly surprised with how quickly you become fluent with sharpening with your new Tormek IF you spend a little structured focused time learning how to sharpen just the chisel. These skills carryover into other tools if you learn them first.

The choice of your sharpening chisel is very important. The market is full of difficult to sharpen chisels. Choose an Irwin Blue Chip chisel. It is the present and not improved version of the traditional Marples Blue Chip chisel. It is inexpensive, readily available, and has enough usable blade length. The original post describes it more fully. Buy a 3/4" (19mm) width. Think of it as a training tool to be consumed.

If you post your specific sharpening wishes and problems we will be glad to assist you. We have all been where you are now.

Keep us posted,

Ken

stevebot

Your local dealer should offer sharpening classes.  If you did not buy locally, look at Woodcraft or other big woodworking store for classes. If your interest is primarily knives, look up Gary's Sharpening.
Steve Bottorff; author, teacher and consultant on knife and scissor sharpening.