News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

a Tormek "preflight check list"

Started by Ken S, December 04, 2015, 12:00:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken S

I believe we all could benefit from having a Tormek preflight checklist. I would like to compile a short list based on members' suggestions and have it posted as a stickie for easy download. The list should be short and require no more than a minute or two to run through.

My immediate motivation for wanting this list was realizing that I had worn out my stone grader. Running through a simple checklist with a "check stone grader for grit and flatness" would have prevented the problem.

"Check Anglemaster wheel diameter" would have prevented an incorrect knife bevel when I first got the T4.

"Check grinding wheel surface for parallelness with universal support" would give early warning when truing was needed.

These should give an indication of what is needed. I hope this will be a group effort; please post your thoughts. I believe this would benefit both new users and those of us (like me) who should know better.

Ken

Herman Trivilino

Origin: Big Bang

Ken S

Good condition to note, Herman, when the grinding wheel seems to slip. Placing it on the preflight list helps keep aware of that possibility.

Ken

Herman Trivilino

I don't know if warming up the Tormek is something that others would find helpful. I find that I can easily stall the grindstone when the machine is first turned on. It takes a while for the rubber drive wheel to warm up, I guess. Or maybe it's dust on the drive wheel.

Herman Trivilino

Ken S

Good thoughts, Herman. Perhaps we should have an every flight checklist and a semi annual list.

Ken