News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

a new sharpening habit

Started by Ken S, November 01, 2015, 09:56:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken S

Recently I have formed the habit of always giving my kitchen knives sixteen strokes (eight on each side) before returning them to the knife block. My new ceramic steel gives a very satisfying sound and feel. I sense the controlled grinding. The built in plastic bevel angle guides help keep the stroke angle cocsistent.

Since starting this routine, my knives are always thumb nail catching sharp.

Ken

stevebot

I hereby click the Like button.
Steve Bottorff; author, teacher and consultant on knife and scissor sharpening.

Ken S

This idea was inspired by an expert knife sharpener from the Cleveland area.

Ken

bobl

Hi Ken, ive not been on for a while. I do the same but a little different on my sharpening jobs.
I do 5 on one side, then the same on the other, finished with a further 3 on each side, checking the edge after this process against my thumbnail, then proceed to my stropping wheel.
Can I just mention again as to what a major difference the the Tormek T7 has made to my Knife sharpening business. It takes a little practice, but my word, what a versatile and competent machine it is.
Best machine I have ever bought.
Hope you and all the rest of the Tormek users on The site have a great Christmas. I dont know when I will be next on the site, so sorry for the early wishes.
Cheers.
Bob The Knife Grinder 

Ken S

Steve,

Lately I have been experimenting with using the ceramic steel just as regularly, but with a lighter touch.  Any thoughts on an ideal touch?

Thanks,

Ken