News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Long knives & cleavers jig

Started by Jan, October 13, 2015, 04:25:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cbwx34

Quote from: RickKrung on November 20, 2017, 04:22:17 AM
Quote from: Jan on October 14, 2015, 12:52:00 PM
Thank you, Sheang, you are welcome!  :)
Sorry for prioritizing users of the imperial system. My apology goes especially to you in France, which was the cradle of the Système International d'Unités.

The material table in metric system is following:
1.    Hollow steel profile 35 x 55 x 162 mm, mat. thickness 2 mm
2.   Two threated rods M12 x 165 mm
3.   Four nuts M12 with washers
4.   One low nut M12 as a micro adjust
5.   Base for universal support and four screws M5 x 16 mm with washers (BGM – 100)

Ad 1) I used steel profile, which I got for free at a local hardware store. Don't search after the same profile cross-section, it is not important.
I cut the maximum length (162 mm), which fits with the T7 housing. My intention was to have enough place for future optional mounting of the universal support base closer to the grinding wheel.

Ad 2) This length of the threated rods will enable to sharpen 10 cm (4") wide cleavers. This is enough for the largest Chinese choppers I sharpened.

Jan

Jan's post included dimensions of the stock used and fasteners, but did not include dimensions of the holes, probably for good reason.  He can't know the spacing of the 12 mm USB mount holes of other's machines, or the spacing of the holes on the Horizontal Base adapter (XB-100 for the T-7).  I took to my calipers and measured the sizes of the holes of all, and measured the distances between the holes, both the outer dimension as well as the inside dimension of the distance between sets of holes. 

Interestingly, I found the USB holes on the machine case to be different (I have a T-8).  The ones closest to the grinding wheel were fairly consistent, 0.477" (12.12mm).  But the USB holes away from the grinding wheel were larger, closer to 0.5" (12.5mm) and much less consistent. (These were measured using a machinist telescoping gage, so it is as precise as I can get without resorting to gage pins, which I have.)

Then, adding or subtracting respective hole radii to distances between outer edges or inner edges of the holes, I came up with an approximation of the distance between the CENTERS of the USB holes: 3.5375" which equals 89.9mm.  So, my guess is that Tormek uses a center distance of 90mm, which equals 3.543"  That is what I'll use for drilling the USB support holes in the 1" x 2" x 1/8" thick rectangular steel tube that I"ll use for mounting the XB-100 (T-7) Horizontal Base. 

Using similar procedures measuring the 5 mm hole spacings on the XB-100, I came up with 59mm (2.323") for the wide side spacing and 36mm (1.417") for the narrow hole spacing.

Your miles (KM):) may vary.  Verify all dimensions on what you have and are using.

Rick

I have previously measured the spacing between the USB holes, and came up with 90mm also... so can at least confirm that.

Thanks to both of you for the info... I'll be building one... as soon as the parts come in.    :)
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform.
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

RickKrung

Quote from: Jan on November 20, 2017, 08:44:46 AM
Rick, your interest pleases me!  :)
It is an inexpensive and very versatile adaptor.

Jan

Quote from: cbwx34 on November 20, 2017, 02:10:20 PM

I have previously measured the spacing between the USB holes, and came up with 90mm also... so can at least confirm that.

Thanks to both of you for the info... I'll be building one... as soon as the parts come in.    :)

My implementation of Jan's extension jig is shown below.  I already had the XB-100 Horizontal Base and the 1"x2"x1/8" thick steel tubing, so I was able to get this far.  While I measured and posted the Base hole mount dimensions, I opted to clamp the base to the tube and spot drill the hole locations.  I tried clamping it square but something didn't work out and the jig was not square once mounted, so I opened up the jig holes and now it does. 

I also precision clamped the Base to the backside and spot drilled the first 12mm hole and then center drilled it.  Then took out the layout blue and tools and carefully layed out and center punched the location of the second 12mm hole.  Existing USBs slide in just fine. 

I used to live in Portland, OR, USA (a medium sized city) and could just run out and get things like M12-1.5 threaded rod and nuts.  But, a little over a year ago, I move to a tiny town in far NE Oregon with a population of 300, but it is in ranching country so it has two hardware stores.  Still, I had to order the threaded rod and nuts.  Will have to wait for them to finish the project. 

Rick
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.

cbwx34

Quote from: RickKrung on November 21, 2017, 03:06:25 AM
My implementation of Jan's extension jig is shown below.  I already had the XB-100 Horizontal Base and the 1"x2"x1/8" thick steel tubing, so I was able to get this far.  While I measured and posted the Base hole mount dimensions, I opted to clamp the base to the tube and spot drill the hole locations.  I tried clamping it square but something didn't work out and the jig was not square once mounted, so I opened up the jig holes and now it does. 

I also precision clamped the Base to the backside and spot drilled the first 12mm hole and then center drilled it.  The took out the layout blue and tools and carefully layed out and center punched the location of the second 12mm hole.  Existing USBs slide in just fine. 

I used to live in Portland, OR, USA (a medium sized city) and could just run out and get things like M12-1.5 threaded rod and nuts.  But, a little over a year ago, I move to a tiny town in far NE Oregon with a population of 300, but it is in ranching country so it has two hardware stores.  Still, I had to order the threaded rod and nuts.  Will have to wait for them to finish the project. 

Rick

Thanks for the additional info.  I previously mounted the XB-100 to the tool rest (for my current setup), and like you, I just clamped it on and drilled the holes.  The funny thing... like you, it didn't come out quite right, even though it was clamped down, and I had to finagle it to get it square.

I am a bit 'concerned' about getting the 12mm holes lined up right (I just have simple hand tools).  It'll definitely be a measure twice many times before drilling.   ;)    (Accuracy not always my strong suit).   :-[

RickKrung

Quote from: cbwx34 on November 21, 2017, 04:20:19 AM

I am a bit 'concerned' about getting the 12mm holes lined up right (I just have simple hand tools).  It'll definitely be a measure twice many times before drilling.   ;)    (Accuracy not always my strong suit).   :-[

I think you'll do fine.  Establishing a good horizontal centerline is key as it will help keep the jig and USB square and horizontal (I checked the squareness of the USBs using a machinist's square... very impressive).  I aligned the 12 mm holes in the tube with those of the XB100, more for the aesthetics.  I don't think that matters as far as function goes, so focus your attention on getting those holes on the same horizontal plane. 

But, if that doesn't happen, you can always open the holes up a bit and shift the threaded rods up or down when tightening the nuts. There is a lot of wiggle room with nuts and washers that size.  I'd do that wiggling and final tightening with everything mounted on the machine and checking squareness in reference to straight surfaces on the machine.  Not sure how much it matters, but I'm fussy that way sometimes (most of the time :) )

Rick
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.

cbwx34

Quote from: RickKrung on November 21, 2017, 05:37:27 AM
I think you'll do fine.  Establishing a good horizontal centerline is key as it will help keep the jig and USB square and horizontal (I checked the squareness of the USBs using a machinist's square... very impressive).  I aligned the 12 mm holes in the tube with those of the XB100, more for the aesthetics.  I don't think that matters as far as function goes, so focus your attention on getting those holes on the same horizontal plane. 

But, if that doesn't happen, you can always open the holes up a bit and shift the threaded rods up or down when tightening the nuts. There is a lot of wiggle room with nuts and washers that size.  I'd do that wiggling and final tightening with everything mounted on the machine and checking squareness in reference to straight surfaces on the machine.  Not sure how much it matters, but I'm fussy that way sometimes (most of the time :) )

Rick

Cool.  Thanks again.  (I noticed how well you had everything lined up... impressive).

Your part about the Tormek USB being square reminded me... I was trying to get a modified USB welded at a local shop... gave him the measurements and emphasized that it had to be perfectly square, 'cause it fit into another part.  I had a Tormek USB with me as an example.  The guy commented that it couldn't be "perfectly" square, and took the Tormek USB and checked it.  "Oh wow" was his next statement.  (He ended up deciding not to do it).   :o

Jan

Rick and CB, I follow with interest and satisfaction your progress in the construction of the extension jig. It reminds me of my efforts some two years ago.

Rick, do not be afraid about squarness too much. The extension jig is intended to work with the knife jig and here the squarness/accuracy requirements are not as big as for the square edge jig for chisels sharpening. (USB used for square edge jig has to be perfectly aligned with the grind stone axis otherwise it is hardly possible to ground a square bevel.)

Jan

P.S.: CB, drill press would be a suitable Christmas present for you! Write a letter to Father Christmas. Three years ago I have donated my old drill press and bench grinder to my brother, who is a woodworker, and he told me that it has changed his life. I bought larger radial drill press with cross vise which I use for timber mortising.

RickKrung

Quote from: Jan on November 21, 2017, 04:55:55 PM
Rick and CB, I follow with interest and satisfaction your progress in the construction of the extension jig. It reminds me of my efforts some two years ago.

Rick, do not be afraid about squarness too much. The extension jig is intended to work with the knife jig and here the squarness/accuracy requirements are not as big as for the square edge jig for chisels sharpening. (USB used for square edge jig has to be perfectly aligned with the grind stone axis otherwise it is hardly possible to ground a square bevel.)

Jan

P.S.: CB, drill press would be a suitable Christmas present for you! Write a letter to Father Christmas. Three years ago I have donated my old drill press and bench grinder to my brother, who is a woodworker, and he told me that it has changed his life. I bought larger radial drill press with cross vise which I use for timber mortising.

I understand and agree that squareness for the extension jig is not the same as for the square edge jig and maybe some others.  I just can't help myself.  Somewhere in the 1990s, my daughter correctly labelled my affliction as far as hobbies go: serial obsessions.  In that same time frame, she gave me a birthday card with this: "Happy Birthday to my serially obsessed, adolescent at heart Father". I still have that card. 

Drill press - YES!  I have three. A 1940 era bench top Delta (needs a motor), a restored floor model 1954 Delta and my small knee mill, which I use as a drill press, as well as for milling.  It has a DRO, so drilling holes in precise locations is a dream.  Latter has not been set up again since my move so I could not use it for drilling the XB-100 hole pattern. 

Rick

Jan

Rick, in my understanding obsession is in intimate relationship with creativity which is now considered to be extremely important for future development.  :)  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iG9CE55wbtY

Jan

RickKrung

Quote from: Jan on November 21, 2017, 10:19:49 PM
Rick, in my understanding obsession is in intimate relationship with creativity which is now considered to be extremely important for future development.  :)  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iG9CE55wbtY

Jan

Quote from: Jan on November 21, 2017, 10:19:49 PM

Jan

Thank you, I get that, but....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iG9CE55wbtY

OOOO  MMMM  Fricking GGGG!  What a wonderful and powerful message. I posted the link on my FaceBook timeline. 

I see it in my granddaughter.  She loves music and dancing and I can so see how that could be "taught" out of her. She loves to have music played while we are driving.  She wants to have control of what is played (on the car stereo - bluetooth).  So, I hand her my phone and she plays what she wants.  She loves "The Bug" by Dire Straits (sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug - splat).  So another song came on "Calling Elvis" and she asked "what is this song called".  I told her and she asked "what is an Elvis".  So, I downloaded some Elvis songs, and some Chuck Berry and Jerry Lee Lewis and now we are dancing our fool feet off to these classic rock n roll tunes.  I hope to be part of parenting that encourages her creativity. 

In another vein, so few children learn how to use tools and make things.  This is another area where I hope to create a learning environment for my granddaughter (Holly).  I am always making or fixing things.  When Holly was only about 9 months, my daughter made me promise to teach Holly all about tools and making things.  That was a no brainer.  I was already planning to do that, so making the promise was easy. Not yet 4, she knows how to use a cordless drill, a disk sander and has even "played" at grinding on the Tormek (actually just rubbing a dummy blade on the leather wheel, but she didn't know the difference).  She has safety glasses and ear protection.

Rick

Jan

Rick, I'm glad you have enjoyed the lecture. Sometimes we need confirmation that our approach to life is right. Ted's message combined with his positive thinking, it's a real upbeat.

You are a lucky man because you have your granddaughter Holly! Grandchildren are God's blessing.

I have five grandchildren and can tell you that each child is different. To satisfy them all when they are together requires very empathic and creative approach.

My oldest granddaughter understands the BESS sharpness scale quite well, she knows that the device displays values in grams but that in fact measures force necessary to cut the test medium. It was a pleasure for BESS inventor Mike B. to see her Lego sharpness tester model.

Jan

cbwx34

Quote from: Jan on November 21, 2017, 04:55:55 PM

Jan

Thanks for the additional info.

I actually do have a drill press... but have had some issues with it... so haven't used it... resorting to the ol' hand drill.  I think you have a good point though... and may see if I can get it up and running again before I tackle this.

Elden

Quote from: Jan on November 22, 2017, 01:50:02 PM

My oldest granddaughter understands the BESS sharpness scale quite well, she knows that the device displays values in grams but that in fact measures force necessary to cut the test medium....her Lego sharpness tester model.

Isaiah 11:6
.... a little child shall lead them

When I first read about the Bess testor, I made a comment about it had the appearance that one ought to be able to fabricate one. Leave  it to the ingenuity of youth to show us old people!
Elden

RickKrung

Quote from: Elden on November 22, 2017, 08:51:03 PM
Quote from: Jan on November 22, 2017, 01:50:02 PM

My oldest granddaughter understands the BESS sharpness scale quite well, she knows that the device displays values in grams but that in fact measures force necessary to cut the test medium....her Lego sharpness tester model.

Isaiah 11:6
.... a little child shall lead them

When I first read about the Bess testor, I made a comment about it had the appearance that one ought to be able to fabricate one. Leave  it to the ingenuity of youth to show us old people!

What is the test medium and could we see a couple/few photos of the actuall BESS testing machine, please.

Rick

Elden

Instructions for the original PT 50 (includes some good pictures of it and the components)

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://www.edgeonup.com/Instructions_For_Use_of_Your_PT50.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwjru_KFu9PXAhWi5oMKHXK8BQMQFjAVegQIBRAB&usg=AOvVaw0o87xJ5bB8a_CtDQrL_kcw

Edge on up website

http://www.edgeonup.com

Under the purchase tab you can see the KN100 & ME110 models. I believe these were the originals that were made before the PT 50 models.

Replacement test media (string) is available.
Elden

RickKrung

Quote from: cbwx34 on November 22, 2017, 05:10:08 PM
Thanks for the additional info.

I actually do have a drill press... but have had some issues with it... so haven't used it... resorting to the ol' hand drill.  I think you have a good point though... and may see if I can get it up and running again before I tackle this.

CB,

What sort of issues have you had with your drill press?  I restored my Delta floor model, including changing out the spindle, repairing the push button switches and other stuff.  Plus I restored a 1941 Rivett 1020 lathe, which involved a lot of reworking of parts and making whole new parts by making patterns and having them cast in metal and then machining.  I want to convert the Delta drill press from single phase 110 AC to three phase by installing a VFD (variable frequency drive). I have the three phase motor but not the VFD.  I've installed VFDs on my Rivett lathe and my 6x26 vertical knee mill, as well as on two of someone else's Bridgeport mills and a radial arm drill press (Jan, I'll be asking you about yours).

If you would like to talk about it, we should probably PM each other personal emails so as to take it off the Tormek forum. 

Rick