News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

curved blades

Started by thats sharp, September 24, 2015, 05:16:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thats sharp

Does anyone have any recommendations with regards to sharpening hook blades on the T-7. I find blades, similar to the horticultural pruning knives, have such an acute hook that it is hard to sharpen even on the edge of the stone often leaving  an uneven bevel. Are these knives designed for hand stone sharpening only? Suggestions welcomed.

jeffs55

Trying to sharpen a curved blade on the Tormek is like trying to put a round peg into a square hole. The blade is round and the stone is the square. The curve would need to be huge to enable the square edge to contact most of it. Convex is possible but concave is like the above example.
You can use less of more but you cannot make more of less.

grepper

I've think I've heard mentioned here folks rounding the edge of the wheel to try to do that.  I'm guessing that with a smooth motion and a lot of practice that might work, but I wouldn't think it would be for the faint of heart.

For concave curved blades I use the edge of a 1 inch, sort of loose, soft-backed belt on a belt sander.  Even with that it takes some practice and a smooth swipe over the blade, but can produce a nice, even bevel.

stevebot

It is possible to sharpen inside or reverse curves blades on the Tormek using the corners.  I have posted that portion of my sharpening school video at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrhZULmd18g
Steve Bottorff; author, teacher and consultant on knife and scissor sharpening.