News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Rapid stone grader wear

Started by dgbingham, August 02, 2015, 12:37:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Herman Trivilino

Quote from: dgbingham on August 18, 2015, 03:35:48 PM
Almost all of my lathe tools are HSS and I used light to moderate pressure on them but even with light pressure they developed grooves very quickly and before I could grade the stone to 1000 grit I had to resurface it to get a uniform surface on the stone.  The stones also cut extremely slow.

A lot has been posted here about the poor performance when reshaping HSS turning tools. Rob in particular found that the BGM-100 kit and a dry grinder worked better, but then found that a lanisher type machine worked even better.

QuoteI also found that the new stone grader already shows wear so it will not last long.

The fine side will quickly develop a concave shape, but this actually works to advantage as it adds more contact surface. Mine has been like this for over a decade.

QuoteI used little oil on the new wheel and finally after 25 years or so got a razor sharp edge.

Tormek excels at placing razor sharp edges on knives, chisels, and lots of other things. I can quickly sharpen every knife in my kitchen, and i only have to do it about twice a year.

QuoteMaybe it is the translation between Swedish and English but "impregnate with oil" means get the leather full of oil and that is exactly what you should not do.

Even if a honing wheel is over oiled it is not ruined. The excess oil can be scraped off and lifted out of the leather with repeated application of compound, use, and more scraping. Mine was over oiled but now works fine. Again, it's been in service for well over a decade.

One of the problems with Tormek is a lack of good training materials, but that is true of every tool I can think of. Even something as simple as a hammer! YouTube is quickly solving these problems.
Origin: Big Bang