News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Set up for BGM100

Started by Blake, June 25, 2015, 01:59:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blake

I love received the BGM100 today I will set it up with my grinder tomorrow. Plan to mount it on a separate platform I will mount on the bench. I want to put the rubber feet that cone with it on the bottom of the platform. The directions are not clear. I. The package for the feet are four rubber feet, four double sticky tapes the size of eeact foot plus four bollts,nuts and washers. There are no holes in the rubber feet. Unclear how you would fasten them. I can obviously find a way but curious if others have felt with it or if I am missing something. Instructions basically say"fasten feet to bottom".
Any one else dealt with this?

Ken S

Blake,

From the forum you should see "tormek.com" which will direct you to the main Tormek website. Once there, click on "accessories". Find the BGM-100. Scroll down and you will find a mounting section. Click on the pdf mounting instructions. Hopefully that will give you more info than you already have.

Sorry I have not actually used my BGM -100 in the usual way. Hopefullt other members will chime in.

Ken

Rob

As Ken says...read the pdf mounting instructions.  At the very end of page 8 is a clear diagram of the rubber feet attached with the sticky pads to an auxiliary plywood board upon which both the BGM and the bench grinder are bolted.  That wooden platform is then portable.

Personally, I didn't mount mine to an auxiliary wooden platform, instead I bolted both the grinder and the BGM to a dedicated workbench, my sharpening station.  Consequently I had no need for the rubber feet.

So to summarise, you have a choice, either fix everything to a platform of ply and then stick the rubber feet to that to absorb vibration and prevent movement or dispense with that and bolt both the grinder and the BGM directly through your workbench.  I didn't trust the rubber feet to prevent movement and I figured a piece of ply might bend over time with the weight of the grinder so hence I bolted mine directly.
Best.    Rob.

Ken S

I have my dry grinder mounted on a thick ice of plywood (3/4" or 19mm). I don't use it with the BGM-100. If I was going to do that, I would remount it on two thicknesses of plywood and provide some sort of hand grips. (A cutout for finger holds on each end would suffice and still leave an easy to clean uncluttered top surface. Frankly, I don't think I would bother with the rubber feet. The portable set up can always be clamped to the bench or table. Double thickness ply base would provide plenty of stability. If you get a lot of vibration, try repositioning your wheel; balancing the wheels or removing the unused wheel to eliminate any vibration caused by it. Truing the wheels with a diamond dresser might help, too.

I store my dry grinder on a shelf nearby. If you use your grinder regularly for turning tools, you will probably just keep it on a bench.  Having it portable allows you to use the space for other purposes if needed.

Do keep us posted.

Ken

Herman Trivilino

This video illustrates how to set up and use the BGM-100. According to the video it comes with written instructions.

http://tormek.com/international/en/accessories/other-accessories/bgm-100-bench-grinder-mounting-set/
Origin: Big Bang