News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

SP 650 Frequency

Started by rickbw, May 30, 2006, 05:10:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rickbw

How often does the wheel require "dressing" from the SP 650?   I realize if I want to utilize a 1000 grit wheel, I need to dress the wheel with the smooth side of the SP 650.   However, under normal usage (220 grit), does the wheel require dressing with the rough side of the 650?

This weekend I sharpened several of my woodturning tools on the Tormek for the 1st time.   Due to the size of the wheel (new system), my bevel on the tools was different than a 6" wheel (as would be expected).   The Tormek seemed to remove more material on the tools if I kept dressing the wheel with the SP650 (220 grit).    However, I am not sure if this was my imagination or not.  Thanks for the help.

Jeff Farris

It is not your imagination.  The stone needs to be conditioned with the SP-650 frequently to maintain aggressive cutting. In the hand book, Torgny calls it "reactivating" the stone.
Jeff Farris

rickbw

Jeff,

Thanks for the reply.   Maybe I should have known the answer (meaning it was in the manual or on a video instruction), but re activating the stone was not clear to me for more aggressive removal of material.    I had struggled with the time the Tormek took on some of my 1st attempts at sharpening.   I now know as I re profile a tool that using the SP 650 is key to the speed of the sharpening!