News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Sharpening leather working tools

Started by Jim48, February 22, 2015, 01:53:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim48

I went to a tool show in NJ today and bought a Tormek T4 today. I do a lt of leatherworking and my punches, bevelers and knifes are always in need of sharpening. Does any one here have any experience sharpening these type of tools? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ken S

Welcome to the forum, Jim. I believe you will get years of faithful service from your new T4. I use both a T7 and a T4, and think the T4 is the logical choice for your kind of sharpening. I'm not a leather worker, so I can't help you much. I don't know of any forum members who work with leather, but hopefully some will surface.

Smaller knives can be sharpened several ways with the Tormek. If large enough, they might fit into the standard knife jig. If they are smaller, look into either the Tormek small knife holder or consider making one of Herman's small knife jigs (a custom made smaller platform much discussed on this forum). Both work well, although differently.

Don't forget you also have the option of hand holding your knives with the Tormek. As noted in my recent posts, I had the opportunity to watch Steve Bottorff, a real Tormek master, sharpen a number of smaller knives. Steve can use the Tormek jigs, but, with much experience, prefers to hand hold knives. 

Learn to use the angle master. Really good light helps quite a bit. Also, a black marker is your friend and should always be near your Tormek. Read the handbook and check out Jeff Farris' knife sharpening you tube.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Ken

Elden

Elden

Jimmy R Jørgensen

Welcome a board. Lots to be learned here. but the best way is to just jump in at start grinding.
If it's not broken, DON'T fix it.