News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

grinding stones

Started by bobl, April 05, 2015, 01:26:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bobl

Its bob again.
Thanks Ken for your last piece of info which was a big help and appreciated.
Heres another one.
Is it poss to use the T3 grinding wheel on the T7 machine ?

SharpenADullWitt

The hole in the stone is the same, but the width is not, so how would you secure it against the nut that keeps it in place?
Also I think its diameter, is getting close to what is end of use on the Tormek (there is a thread on that aspect, somewhere).
I once asked about going the other direction, as I had the older, chipped stone, that the prior owner had damaged getting it off a rusty shaft.

Edit:  you would have to use a bunch of washers to build up to your stone or some kind of spacer: http://forum.tormek.com/index.php?topic=2095.0  The T7 shaft is longer, but I don't know if it is only via the stone side.  If the spacing on the leather wheel side was the same, and it was only the stone side, you could use a T3/4 shaft.  Ken who has both might chime in on that.
Favorite line, from a post here:
Quote from: Rob on February 24, 2013, 06:11:44 PM
8)

Yeah you know Tormek have reached sharpening nirvana when you get a prosthetic hand as part of the standard package :/)

Ken S

Yes, the T3/4 grinding wheels fit very easily on the T7. The shaft diameter and thread are the same. The steel left hand thread nut from the T7 and the plastic nut from the T4 are also interchangeable. My initial impressiom of the plastic nut is that it will probably go the distance. If not, the steel replacement will work fine.The part of the shaft which matters in this case is the length between the shoulder which holds the grinding wheel and the threads. The T7 wheel, the 250 mm outside diameter wheels have a thickness of 50 mm at the outer edge. The 200 mm series ( for the T3/4) are 40 mm thick. All you need to fill the gap in a senond washer. A spare washer identical to the Tormek "washer for the stone" (part number29) works quite well. A 12mm hole fender washer or two from the hardware store will suffice.

Yes, it works. However, does it provide any practical benefit? Do you have a specific application in mind?

Ken

SharpenADullWitt

I think you mentioned the T4 as a backup or portable machine for carrying around, if your doing it for a living.  If that is the case then one would already be invested into it. (money not a factor)
Then things like the cleaver discussion, where you would like a little more height, or  there was another thread asking about splitting a stone, for some really curved small tool, might work better with the smaller stone on the larger unit. (if I remember it was some sort of gutting knife)

Cleavers and height being mentioned, and with its long life, I could see a possible benefit for the use of the SJ200 over the 250 on the T7 (not to mention the cost difference). Use with Herms jig for repeated small tools or low angle knife touchup.
Favorite line, from a post here:
Quote from: Rob on February 24, 2013, 06:11:44 PM
8)

Yeah you know Tormek have reached sharpening nirvana when you get a prosthetic hand as part of the standard package :/)

bobl

thanks guys.
Very informative.
Bob
Bobl

Ken S

Bob,

The use of a T4 wheel on a T7 for sharpening cleavers is still in the untested idea stage. As I recall, you live in the UK. Correct? If so, and if you live anywhere near Bath, I would recommend you contact Robin C Bailey. Robin is a member of this forum. He owns a sharpening service and a sharpening school. He also pioneered making a custom longer universal support bar for sharpening cleavers. He reported using it successfully for quite some time.

You can private message him from the forum of google him. He has a good website.

I believe your best investment at the present would be taking one of Robin's classes. Knowledge is power.

Ken

bobl

Thanks all, again.
I have been in touch with robin before and he has a good reputation. I would love to go down to his training school for the course. Its quite far from me and I would have to save up a bit. I could drop a hint to the wife for a Christmas present though!!
If you are reading this Robin, I hope to see you some time in the future.
Bob   

Ken S

Bob,
Since you are doing this as a business, I would consider thorough training an essential business expense. (That's easier for me to say since I don't have to raise the capital.) :)

Ken

bobl

Nice one Ken.
I know you are right.
I will have to fit it in both financially and when my hols will allow for the dates.
I do defo. want to do robins course.
He is the U.K. Guru.
Cheers again.
Bob

Ken S

Bob,

Over the years I invested a lot in my photography side business, in both equipment ant training. I never regretted the time and expense of the training, and would have done more if possible. I can't speak with equal wisdom about the equipment expenses. I chased too many acquisitions trying to be "all things to all people".

Find a good niche; come very trained and skilled in it; do it well.

keep us posted.

Ken