News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Scrub Plane

Started by griffinwjg, April 18, 2006, 09:01:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

griffinwjg

How do/can you sharpen a scrub plane blade?

Jeff Farris

Use the SVD-110 Torlock Tool Rest.  Set the angle to match your iron and follow the radius.
Jeff Farris

Mark H.

I sharpened my L-N scrub plane for the first time using Jeff's advice and was surprised at how easy it was to follow the curve of the blade and get an excellent single facet on the bevel.  The blade cut so well I popped hairs on my arm with it!  I had to show my teenage daughter I was so impressed (she wasn't of course).  This makes the scrub plane more than just a roughing plane, chipping and tearing at the stock.  I can use it to cut smooth, almost polished grooves in the stock to create a nice textured effect.  Try this for a decorative look on a furniture project or just skip the jack and smoothing planes altogether if you're making more rustic furniture like a seating bench or a footstool, etc.

msrdnr

Did you hone the blade on the Tormek or just go straight from the stone to the wood?