News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Flat grind from a vertical round wheel?

Started by Elden, March 09, 2015, 08:50:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elden

Is it possible to get a flat ground surface from a vertically orientated grinding wheel?

The answer is yes. Look at a surface grinder such as used in a machine shop. The work is moved horizontally in the xy plane under the vertical grinding wheel.

Can a flat surface grind be generated on the Tormek without using the side of the wheel?

Once again the answer is yes however, it is a reserved yes.

Foley Belsaw makes a 1055 Sharp-All that is a dry grinder. Prior to having a Tormek, I sharpened chisel and jointer knives on a 1055. It formed an excellent flat and sharp bevel with a 4" diameter grinding wheel. This was accomplished by using a precisely and controlably tilting table that locked at various angles. A jig held the tool which  could  be slid on the table top.  The jig maintained the distance from the grinding wheel while the table maintained the bevel angle. The depth of grind was fixed, albeit adjustable.  The tool was presented toward the side of the grinding wheel, however, held up so that it contacted the round face. By sliding it back and forth on the table, the sharpening was accomplished. A flat bevel was formed.

I believe this can be accomplished on the Tormek by:
1. Make a USB that has a 90º bend so that it parallels the side of the grinding wheel.
2. Make a locking table so that the bevel can be set similarly to the scissors jig base. It may need to be larger depending upon the tool to be sharpened.
3. Make an appropriate holder that would be referenced by the back side of the table. In my case use the one from the Foley Belsaw 1055.

It might be the planer blade attachment could be used. I do not have one to check it out.

Thoughts anyone?

Elden

Ken S

Excellent thinking, Elden!

Just thinking off the top of my head, how about using a Torlock secured platform designed to be used transversely (Do I have the right term?) Tormek already owns the Torlock patent.

In addition to flat grinding, this rig might also be used for sharpening metal lathe bits.

I have also heard and read that ideally skew turning tools should be sharpened with a flat bevel, to ride better on the work. That would easily be within the scope of such a jig.

Basing the jig on a platform such as the scissors jig or the flat platform, the rest of the mechanism might not be all that complicated, and would certainly widen the scope of the Tormek.

Robin Bailey of this forum designed a more flexible universal support and had it made by a local machine shop. He offered it to the forum for a modest price, however, he needed ten orders and only received one (me). I did something similar with my Omnijig dovetail routing machine.  After some work by a local machine shop, I believe it is the most flexible Omnijig in existence. This is fertile ground for clever minds.

Tormek provides a variety of useful jigs. Ten years ago, who would have imagined the drill bit jig? Incorporating the universal support was a giant step forward, which has paved the way for many innovations. I do not believe the idea pool has been exhausted, and Elden is on to an outstanding idea.

Keep up the good work, Elden.

Ken

Ken S

sorry for the accidental double post

Elden

Quote from: Ken S on March 09, 2015, 11:02:45 PM
Just thinking off the top of my head, how about using a Torlock secured platform designed to be used transversely

Ken,
  I've been thinking about your comment. After finally looking up the definition of transverse, I think I might be catching up with your idea. Are you meaning transverse to the existing USB?
  I am hoping to take some pictures tomorrow of the Foley Belsaw 1055  Sharp-All set-up for chisel sharpening. Will try to post them. Pictures will tell more easily what I was trying to say in the first post.
  My old thinker will have to kick this idea around for awhile.
Elden

grepper

Elden

Yes, thank you Mark.  I will try to get one showing  it set up with a chisel that I need to sharpen.
For those not acquainted with the 1055, the table will adjust up and down as it is on a pivot that can be locked. The table angle is adjusted by the angle adjustment seen in the front.
Something similar to this for the Tormek is what I am attempting to figure out. It has to be less complicated as I do not have machine shop capabilities available.  Possibly it may utilize some form of a USB or at least the mounting sockets.
Elden

Herman Trivilino

Tormek recommends this configuration for using the Tool Rest (SVD-110) on cabinet scrapers:

http://www.tormek.com/images/introduction/photo/f_227_big.jpg
Origin: Big Bang

Ken S

Elden, I think the jig could be built out of wood. something like baltic birch ply would have adequate accuracy and not move with the weather. I think the photo Herman posted shows how much more versatile the flat platform jig could be with attachments bolted to it.

Keep thinking, all.

Ken

Ken S

Elden,

I happened to watch the short video with the Tormek Moulding Knife Attachment SVP-80. It works on the same principle. The knives are held by a magnet from above. I can see the potential in grinding this way, although it would take some designing. check out the video.

Ken

Elden

There we go Ken, that is a start. Thanks! That is great for a flat grind with no bevel. Had not thought about using 2 USBs. Now to advance that concept to include an adjustable bevel angle. As Winnie the Pooh said, "Think, think, think."
   I still am toying with the 90° USB idea, just haven't actively pursued it yet. I haven't checked to see if 12mm rod is locally available. It would have to be from welding or machine shops if it is, I believe.
Elden

Ken S

Elden,

Do you really need a fully adjustable table, or would a table fixed at a certain angle, say thirty degrees suffice? Perhaps with the possibility of switching the table later to another angle?

I have an idea about using a BGM-100 instead of a ninety degree bend in the universal support bar. I will post it this weekend.

Ken

Elden

Ken,
Actually I don't need either a fixed or an adjustable one. I am just playing with an idea after seeing the flat versus hollow grind discussions in past threads. Actually I probably would want it adjustable so to match different, already existing angles. My idea  was to bring up the idea that flat grinds can be possible with the Tormek. I probably (possibly?) will pursue it for my own satisfaction to have a working model.
Elden

Herman Trivilino

Origin: Big Bang

jeffs55

You can use less of more but you cannot make more of less.

Elden

Thanks Herman and Jeff for the sources. I will keep those in mind.
Elden