News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

knife sharpening steels

Started by Ken S, March 07, 2015, 01:14:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken S

My set of kitchen knives came with a steel. I have used it sporadically. Mine resembles a file with the teeth running the long way.

Since my Tormek is just below the kitchen in the basement, does the steel have any purpose?  I don't know much about them and would welcome a discussion from the forum members.

Thanks,

Ken

Elden

My understanding of that type of steel is that it aligns the edge of the blade instead of sharpening it. As the knife is used, the edge is laid (bent) over on the microscopic level. The steel pushes that back over in alignment which makes it sharper than when it is bent over. In my opinion it is a quick temporary fix to get you through to a sharpening. The edge would progressively become weaker  as a result to the bending back and forth due to alternating use and steelng.
Elden

grepper

Yup.  What Elden said.

It would be interesting to actually check it out with a microscope.

Herman Trivilino

I know that steels work. I had one that looked like what you've described, Ken. I tossed it and bought a Victorinox on Amazon.

You know the finger nail sharpness test? You slide the edge across your nail and see if it grabs. A sharp knife edge that has just gotten dull enough to fail this test can quickly be made to pass it by treating it to a steel.
Origin: Big Bang

Elden

Ceramic or diamond round honing rods would remove that which the steel is straightening. I assume these are available in different grits. The diamond hone that was given to me is elliptical in shape. Don't remember seeing a grit size listed for it. As I am not the one using the kitchen knives, they are ready for "persuaded" sharpening by the time my wife asks for something to be done to them.
Elden

Ken S

Thanks for the replies.  If the steel aligns the edge, does it need a grit? Or, like a burnisher for scrapers, would a smooth surface work better?

Ken

mike40

My wife won't let me sharpen the kitchen knives on the Tormek as she is worried about having super sharp blades, I therefore use a steel exclusively to keep those knives sharp and it does work, even on knives which we have had for many years. While I'm sure that it is correct that the steel mainly realigns the edge, common sense tells me that least some steel is removed at the same time to refresh the edge. My steel also has the teeth running lengthwise.
Mike

Herman Trivilino

The surface of the steel feels like it has very fine knurling.

My father used to take steels to his knives to sharpen them. In my experience it works only on knives that are already sharp and just need a touch up. If they are too blunt or have obvious nicks the steel does little to help them.
Origin: Big Bang

Rob

That echo's my experience.  If sharp a steel can just tickle it back to tomato cutting quality.  However, it was not touching my global knives until this Xmas when my brother bought me a ceramic steel.  That is absolutely superb and makes a tangible difference to the sharpness....even the global knives.  I do about 4 passes each side at an included angle (approximated) of about 15 degrees and they're like a razor.  I cannot recommend ceramics highly enough, marvellous.
Best.    Rob.