News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

breaking the sharp edge of the back of a knife

Started by Ken S, February 22, 2015, 04:40:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken S

I do all the chopping for our family meals. I enjoy this; it gives me a day to day opportunity to get the feel of our kitchen knives.

I often place my hand forward of the handle of a knife for more control. So many knives have sharp square corners on the backs of the knife. I improved mine with a diamond hone, however, they were still uncomfortable.

I mentioned this to Steve Bottorff on Friday. Steve was very familiar with the problem. He often corrects this for chefs. With the wheel moving away from the knife, he hand held a light cut on the back corner edges of the knife. He held the knife diagonally and made about a forty five degree small bevel, just enough to break the sharp edge. He then polished the newly rounded edge on the leather honing wheel.

What a difference in comfort.

Ken

Herman Trivilino

Origin: Big Bang

Ken S

I finally had a chance to break the sharp edge on the back of my chef's knife. The procedure with the Tormek (T4, although either would work). went very well. my knife is much more comfortable to hold now when my hand is on the back of the blade.

Ken