News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

knife question for Stig

Started by Ken S, February 14, 2015, 03:43:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jimmy R Jørgensen

I'm not saying overkill here. but as a noob and a person that "just" want good sharp kitchen knifes, this seems way overkill ;)

I'm kinda getting that a knife can be to sharp to be good in normal use in kitchen, or am i getting it completely wrong?. I'm not in the game of operating on anyone so scalpel sharpness is not needed, but would be nice if there is a use for it.
If it's not broken, DON'T fix it.

Rob

well spotted...sometimes the lengths people go to on this forum are far beyond those necessary to achieve a simple, practical edge that works just fine for every day use....important safety tip when reading posts here :-)
Best.    Rob.

SharpenADullWitt

You can get a knife too sharp.  In simplest terms, you get the two edges of the knife, to such a THIN point, that the edge disintegrates, while you use it.

There have been several posts on this, via trial by Tomato's (something that shouldn't really wear out a knifes edge).
http://forum.tormek.com/index.php?topic=1588.msg6595#msg6595
Favorite line, from a post here:
Quote from: Rob on February 24, 2013, 06:11:44 PM
8)

Yeah you know Tormek have reached sharpening nirvana when you get a prosthetic hand as part of the standard package :/)

Herman Trivilino

The smaller the bevel angle, the weaker the edge, but assuming the steel can hold the edge, it's also the sharper the edge. Razor blades are made this way, but not kitchen knives. A kitchen knife is not a good instrument for shaving, and a razor blade is not a good instrument for preparing food. Used in a kitchen, a razor blade-like knife would quickly dull and have to be discarded as it can't be sharpened.

The other thing you often want in the edge on a kitchen knife is a "tooth", or a roughness to the edge. It makes the knife work more like a saw than a slicer. But in other applications, like for a sushi chef, a smoother edge is desired. The beauty of the Tormek is that with practice you can control all these variables and get the edge you desire.
Origin: Big Bang

Jimmy R Jørgensen

So Herman.

The ideal thing for me is the Tormek with the "normal" grindstone" ending with grid 1000 and honing it on the leather wheel. i'll get a good nice fihish but not a very polished one (Compared) but for the kind of work i'm talking about it is the ideal result, a good bevel with "teeth" that insn't to fine or week?.

If it's not broken, DON'T fix it.

Herman Trivilino

Quote from: Jimmy R Jørgensen on May 17, 2015, 09:28:55 AM
The ideal thing for me is the Tormek with the "normal" grindstone" ending with grid 1000 and honing it on the leather wheel. i'll get a good nice fihish but not a very polished one (Compared) but for the kind of work i'm talking about it is the ideal result, a good bevel with "teeth" that insn't to fine or week?.

If you carefully go through these steps you'll have a polished edge with a mirror finish that would make any sushi chef proud. Most critical is preparation of the grindstone in the fine 1000-grit state. You have to spend a lot of time on this step to get the surface of the grindstone feeling smooth as glass.

If you want more of a tooth you can use less care preparing the grindstone in the fine state.

You really need hands-on practice to learn this stuff. Going back and forth between the workshop and the kitchen, you can become a connoisseur of the edge.

bobl

Quote from: grepper on February 15, 2015, 01:48:05 AM
Ken, while not answering your question to Stig and not trying to hijack this thread , I thought you might be interested in some testing I did cutting tomatoes with knives sharpened with more and less coarse abrasives, producing a more or less "toothy" edge.  As I recall, I had 4 or 5 knives sharpened ranging from right off the Tormek with a coarse stone, to very highly polished blades produced using 3M Microfinishing Film and super fine polishing abrasives to about 12,000 grit.

A couple of years ago we had a very hot, dry summer.  For whatever reason, it was not a good year for tomatoes.  They didn't ripen well, and would start to rot from the inside out, leaving a thin, smooth but tough skin, with very soft, watery, rotten guck in the middle.  Sounds delicious, doesn't it?

While they tasted like crap, they were excellent specimens for testing knife sharpness and edge grinds from rough to polished. 

The most excellent and telling subjects were tomatoes that were just starting to collapse, leaking rotten yuck, but were still more or less round without skin degradation.  When attempting to cut these stinking blobs, it took very little pressure to squish the tomato while trying to penetrate the skin with the knife.  So I picked up a bunch that were decomposing on the ground and proceeded to test.

What I found was that a polished edge can cut even a very soft in the middle, basically rotten tomato with a smooth, tough skin.  But..., it had to be really, really, sharp.  I emphasize; really, very sharp. Approaching razor blade sharpness.  I used a new safety razor blade for comparison.  If the knife was not super sharp, even with a careful sawing motion the blade would ride on the skin and the tomato would collapse and ooze out its insides before cutting the skin.  If however there was even a tiny break in the skin, the blade would slice most excellently.  These blades were so sharp, that even gently bumping against the finger would cause epidermal leaking.  They were most excellent at slicing human skin!  They would work great for sashimi or any other raw flesh, leaving a very clean cut.  I actually shaved with one and was surprised how well it worked. (Not recommended).

While the Tormek can produce knives that sharp, I found that degree of sharpness didn't last long with normal use.  As soon as the super sharpness was history, the polished blades became generally less useful.  The still performed well for chop cutting, but anything with a smooth surface became problematic.  It was evident even on vegetables like broccoli with a hard, smooth skin.

Without wishing to entertain the argument of longevity vs toothy/smooth edges, from my experience at least, a moderately toothy blade is generally more useful in the kitchen, and the edge lasts longer for all around, general, cutting.

I would be interested to know if anyone else has conducted the same tests, and how those results compare.

bobl

Quote from: Ken S on February 14, 2015, 03:43:41 PM
Stig,

I notice in your video with Stumpy and Mike a short scene where a chef's knife effortlessly slices a micro thin slice out of a tomato. The tomato is just sitting on a cutting board with no other support. That's pretty fancy shootin', partner.

I know that cutting things like tomatoes benefit from having a bit of tooth on the blade. Did you polish that blade on the leather honing wheel? Japanese wheel?

Ken
Ref this sharpness of blade  - from Bob The Knife Grinder.
Yes this sharpness is very impressive to the chef you have just left. However as you have said, the sharpness of this kind of edge does not last for long and is impossible for the chef to tickle up on his steel. First impressions are great, but longevity is short lived.
Standard sharpening on the T7 wheel supplied is more than good enough for chefs knives.
You will get happy chefs and repeat business with no quibbles.
Cheers.
Bob

Elden

Quote from: bobl on June 05, 2015, 09:33:37 PM
Yes this sharpness is very impressive to the chef you have just left. However as you have said, the sharpness of this kind of edge does not last for long and is impossible for the chef to tickle up on his steel. First impressions are great, but longevity is short lived.
Standard sharpening on the T7 wheel supplied is more than good enough for chefs knives.
You will get happy chefs and repeat business with no quibbles.

Bob,

What bevel angle do you use most commonly? I have seen mention of thinner bevel angles here on the forum. From your above stated perspective, are you using 15° or 20° bevel or do you take the time to match the existing bevel? Do you take time to do a double bevel?

Your perspective on retension of sharpness is in accord with my thinking.

Thanks
Elden

Elden

Quote from: grepper on March 07, 2015, 11:48:34 PM
Honing accomplishes two things; it removes the burr and abrades away or "polishes" out micro scratches on the cutting edge and the bevel. Check out the last two blade images here: http://forum.tormek.com/index.php?topic=1689.msg7998#msg7998 
That is the blade before and after honing with compound. The micro burr and scratching has been removed by the compound.

Mark, I am not seeing your pictures.
Elden

Ken S

Eldon,

Whenever I think of "matching the bevel", usually a good idea, I wonder what the last guy was thinking. Somewhere in the past bevels there might have been a truly expert sharpener or a truly inexpert sharpener. Who knows??????

Ken

Herman Trivilino

Look at the edge with a magnifier, Ken. You'll see clues about the level of expertise of the previous sharpeners.

Elden

Ken,

If the bevel is like the one on my Buck hunting knife which I had hand honed throughout the years, a guided sharpening system showed a very inconsistent bevel. It had been sharp, just not consistent on the bevel. As I was the one who sharpened it, I can say the last guy was thinking about getting it sharp enough to field dress a deer or to butcher. It didn't have to be a perfect job to work. As it is now, the primary bevel is too acute to be a long lasting edge for hunting knife duty. I plan to put a fairly heavy secondary bevel on it.
Elden

Ken S