News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

SVS-50 Question

Started by Mike Goetzke, January 29, 2015, 08:25:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Goetzke

First off the Tormek system is still somewhat new to me. I sharpened my spindle roughing gouge last weekend with this jig and is it just me or does the "TORMEK" logo cast into the jig bother others too? The logo and not a flat surface rides against the bar giving it a rough unsteady ride. Maybe I'm doing something wrong? Guess I can just file it down but wanted to check here first.

Thanks,

Mike

SharpenADullWitt

Mike, good to see you again (we've been on several forums together).
I just got another of this jig, as I loaned/gave the first one to my dad for carving.  (easier to replace then get schedules together at times) I am wondering if the Tormek is above the part it is pressed into?  (will it rock on it)
I know my new one (will have to check the old), is flat across, so I am wondering if that is your issue.  If it is a bit higher, then I would sand/file it down.  If it isn't, you could fill it with some kind of epoxy to make it flat for feel (so you don't notice).
I know your good at modifying tools (5625, EZ, etc)! ;)
Favorite line, from a post here:
Quote from: Rob on February 24, 2013, 06:11:44 PM
8)

Yeah you know Tormek have reached sharpening nirvana when you get a prosthetic hand as part of the standard package :/)

Mike Goetzke

Quote from: SharpenADullWitt on January 29, 2015, 09:09:47 PM
Mike, good to see you again (we've been on several forums together).
I just got another of this jig, as I loaned/gave the first one to my dad for carving.  (easier to replace then get schedules together at times) I am wondering if the Tormek is above the part it is pressed into?  (will it rock on it)
I know my new one (will have to check the old), is flat across, so I am wondering if that is your issue.  If it is a bit higher, then I would sand/file it down.  If it isn't, you could fill it with some kind of epoxy to make it flat for feel (so you don't notice).
I know your good at modifying tools (5625, EZ, etc)! ;)

I checked this morning the Tormek logo other lettering are cast in not outward, although, still rough/catchy if I run a credit card across it.

Mine has raised letters - before I filed them flat just wanted to make sure I wasn't using the jig incorrectly.

(Looked at your profile and think I remember you especially from EZ - thought I'd try turning about a year ago and am deep into the vortex!)

Mike