News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Tormek advice from a master

Started by Ken S, December 31, 2014, 06:09:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken S

Those of you who have read my posts over the years know that I often recommend sources of information I consider outstanding. When I have written (often) that a book should be a part of every serious sharpener's library, I am quite serious.

The best source of readily available online information pertaining directly to the Tormek is from Jeff Farris. Much of it is available on this forum. A serious Tormek student will find his effort in studying Jeff's posts well rewarded. Jeff's experience with the Tormek is extensive and quite practical.

The DVD Jeff made on sharpening and using turning tools is first-rate. I purchased it before buying the turning tool jigs. It is a must have item for turners.

Jeff's videos on sharpening chisels, knives, and scissors are the best. They originated on sharptoolsusa.com. I have found them occasionally difficult to play on that site, however, they are easily found elsewhere.

Sharptoolsusa, formerly owned by Jeff, still has his blog. Just before writing this post I reread all the entries in Jeff's blog. If that blog was a book, my copy would be dogeared and heavily underlined.

Jeff is not the only good source of Tormek information. My old copy of the handbook is well underlined and highlighted. I also have the latest version downloaded (from tormek.com) on mt ipad. It is in the first tier of "must read" Tormek references. I have watched the Tormek friends and Alan Holtham videos from the tormek.com website mant times.

A recently discovered (for me) resource is support.tormek.se. These questions are promptly answered by Stig Reitan ("sticken") and his research staff at Tormek in Sweden. In hindsight I have seen many unusual questions go unanswered on the forum because none of the active members had encountered the situation. I am pleased to see Sweden becoming more actively involved with the forum.

Whenever I read a post where someone thinks his Tormek cannot perform a sharpening function, I think that if Jeff can do it, it can be done with the Tormek. That does not necessarily mean that it is easy for a beginner. It certainly does not mean that it can easily be done at my present skill level. It does mean that with study, and experience it can be done.

I encourage my fellow forum members to invest some time studying these fine resources.

Ken