News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Grindstones

Started by Dizzy, December 30, 2014, 06:01:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dizzy

Hi.  I'm am about to start to use my Tormek T3 for the first time.  It is set up in my workshop, in the garden, which has no heating.  I am worried that if water gets into the stone and overnight the temperature drops it might freeze and crack the stone.  I will obviously empty the water trough, but am worried about the water in the stone.
Can anyone help ?? 
How much water does the stone absorb? 
How long does it take to dry out?
Am I worrying over nothing?

Thanks

jeffs55

The stone absorbs a lot of water and will split, crack etc if the water contained therein freezes. Running the machine creates more air flow and will cause the stone to dry faster but on the T3 it is rated at 30 minutes run time before a rest period. I do not know how effective 30 minutes run time would be. Best advice is to bring the machine into a heated area or do not use it when the temperature is freezing. If you cannot move the machine, could you cover it and maybe place a very low wattage bulb under the same cover? If all else fails, bring the whole machine indoors after you finish sharpening. Don't forget to empty the water trough outside so as not to spill it inside. Have you done the ol' magnet trick with your trough? Tape one or more strong magnets to the OUTside of the trough. This will collect the ferrous grinding slag at one point. Dump the water, untape the magnets and the grindings will simply drop into the trash or onto your lawn. Replace the magnets, rare earth magnets are da bomb for this.
You can use less of more but you cannot make more of less.

Ken S

Dizzy, I hope Sweden answers this question for you. I had an unheated garage "shop" in northern Ohio for many years. I had no problem with the Tormek, although, I must admit, my shop didn't see much use in the cold winter months.

Does your T3 have the EZYLock shaft? If so, the easiest thing to do is just remove the grinding wheel and bring it inside. Even without the EZYLock, removing the grinding wheel isn't a big deal. Jeff Farris used to do that regularly when he traveled as a Tormek demonstrator.

In fact, based on my experience with a T4 (same size as the T3), moving the whole Tormek inside is no big deal. It is light and small enough that you might even prefer to do some of your winter sharpening inside. The "water mess" idea is overblown. A little preventative care should take care of the problem.

I haven't used the T4 enough to have an experience based opinion on the 50% duty of the motor. My gut feeling is that that is overblown, also. I recall a similar post, where one of the members weighed his grinding wheel after running it dry for a while and did not find significant difference. Most of the major problems seem to come from allowing the wheel to remain in water for long periods of time when not being used.

Ken

Herman Trivilino

Definitely empty the water trough after every use. A lot water is wicked into the grindstone and it takes a few days to dry out, depending of course on the humidity level. Personally, I wouldn't risk letting it freeze. Grindstones are expensive to replace.
Origin: Big Bang

Dizzy

Thanks to all for replying so quickly and for the advice.  Am planning to get started today.  It will please the wife so much when I have to bring it indoors !!!

Rob

Just do her kitchen knives and scissors, then she is a co-conspirator :-)
Best.    Rob.