News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

T3Emptying water trough

Started by plusasst, November 29, 2014, 12:55:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

plusasst

I love my T3 as a beginning power sharpener for wood carving gouges. My main question is how to easily (not pouring water all over the place) empty the trough when done!! Thanks in advance for some help.

Ken S

Welcome to the forum,Ann.

removing a full water trough is not  difficult, although a little practice helps. I suggest you spend a few moments placing and removing the water trough while it is empty. You will quickly develop a muscle memory for the task. When you are confident, add water and sharpen. Keep some paper towels nearby, including one under the water trough.

With a mocicum of care, water spillage is minimal. Make sure you have enough water in the trough to keep the stone wet, but do not overfill. Jeff Farris has made several excellent you tubes on using the Tormek. Google" tormek videos".

If you havenot already doneso, you will want to tape a rare earth magnet (3/4" diameter is good) to the outside of your water trough to catch the ground steel. This keeps the stone cleaner.

Good luck and keep posting.

Ken

grepper

You might be filling it more than necessary?  You only need to cover the bottom ½" or so of the wheel.  Just enough for good water flow over the wheel.  If there is a coating of water coming over the wheel, you are ok.

This helps keep mess in general down too. :)

SharpenADullWitt

Take a look at the water tray.  I knew the new ones came with a magnet and spot for it (at least on the replacement ones sold for the T7), but didn't realize it was marked where the water fill line was at first.
If I wasn't the only one using it, I would use a paint stick to highlight that for future users.

That said, I tend to fill from a plastic Folgers jug, and when done I empty it into another one.  I thought about trying to run the water over a coffee filter to see if I could grab the gunk and save the water, but realized the time verses the cost of the filters, etc. didn't make that worth it to me.
Favorite line, from a post here:
Quote from: Rob on February 24, 2013, 06:11:44 PM
8)

Yeah you know Tormek have reached sharpening nirvana when you get a prosthetic hand as part of the standard package :/)