News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Gerber - Bear Grylls

Started by Lillis, November 24, 2014, 01:22:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lillis

Im not a big fan of serrated knife blades, atleast not on my camping knifes.
So i tried making a new bevel and Im very pleased with the result. It looks a little weird at the bottom of the blade, closest to the handle. But i dont know how to make it look better, since the blade is smaller.
Before and after pics.

grepper

Nice job, especially considering how much metal you had to remove and completely reform the edge.  I too  have found that area right up by the bolster can be tricky.

Herman Trivilino

Quote from: Lillis on November 24, 2014, 01:22:45 PM
It looks a little weird at the bottom of the blade, closest to the handle.

That's the transition from the cutting edge to the bolster. Even if you don't modify a knife in the way you have, you will still have to face this issue with a knife after it's been sharpened many many times.

There's not much you could do to improve upon what you've done. Maybe get in there with a grinder or file and extend the cutting edge all the way to the bolster. On a non-folding knife you can file down the bolster itself, but you have to be careful doing that with a folding knife as it may interfere with the operation of folding the blade. Having the blade fold in too far is a bummer as it makes it hard to unfold the knife.
Origin: Big Bang