News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Victorinox Knife

Started by Herman Trivilino, November 18, 2014, 07:09:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Herman Trivilino

I bought this knife almost two years ago and have used it in my kitchen on a regular basis.

I saw it recommended on the PBS television show Cook's Country.

When I first got the knife I was impressed with how sharp it was. Cut through paper better than any knife I'd ever sharpened. I tried to use the Angle master to measure the edge angle but the blade is so thin I couldn't do it. The other day I noticed how dull it had gotten so I finally had the excuse I needed to see how sharp I could get it. I chose a bevel angle of 15o and used my homemade HK-50 jig. I wasn't able to sharpen all the way to the heel using that jig as the handle gets in the way. I got it almost as sharp as it was when it was new.
Origin: Big Bang

SharpenADullWitt

I picked up a pair of them, with a steel and a paring knife recently for the price of this knife (deal of the day type of site).  I've been looking at redoing my entire kitchen, and using it more.  (layout, poor storage, older, and still had first set of moving out knives etc)
I personally don't care much if the handles are Rosewood or plastic as much as function.  That said another one I found great reviews on, and bought a couple that I say try, are Update International (reviews said cost effective clones of the Forschners).   My first set of knives while they will work fine (especially after the Tormek), I decided should be my training/trial aids.  (also if one of the relatives wants to learn to use the Tormek)
Favorite line, from a post here:
Quote from: Rob on February 24, 2013, 06:11:44 PM
8)

Yeah you know Tormek have reached sharpening nirvana when you get a prosthetic hand as part of the standard package :/)

Herman Trivilino

Quote from: SharpenADullWitt on November 18, 2014, 08:08:04 PM
I've been looking at redoing my entire kitchen, and using it more. 

We just spent the last four months remodeling our kitchen and dining room. Total gut, including the tear out of two walls plus a pantry. All new appliances, plumbing, electrical, cabinets, counter tops, back splash and floor. Did a lot of the work myself. Having sharp chisels and planes helped a lot! Power tools can get you only so far as there is always a final bit of fine tuning that must be done by hand.

Now the finishing touch is to sharpen all the knives.

And yes, we now use our kitchen a lot more than we used to.

grepper

And they still recommend it, Herman.  They did another review recently that I saw on TeeVee, and still say it's the best, especially for the price.  About the only knife that beats it is the $300.00US Bob Kramer chef's knife, which does not surprise me.  I posted a link to a video here about him some time ago.

On the Cook's Country and America's Test Kitchen shows shown on PBS, Bridget Lancaster the girl who does most of the on-camera cooking, seems to use the Forschner exclusively.  And she does a LOT of cooking!

Here is a link to knife comparison video from the same folks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e50gujs4l-I

I think I'll have to buy one. :).

grepper

BTW, that Forschner by Victorinox knife uses x50CR MO steel, HRC 55-56.  The beautiful Kramer uses 52100 carbon steel @ HRC 61, so it is much, much harder than the $39.95 Forschner.  Nonetheless, in the above tests the Forschner performed very well.

I suspect this is pretty nice too:

http://www.surlatable.com/product/PRO-1422922/?affsrcid=Aff0001&CAGPSPN=pla&CAWELAID=120120820000071992&catargetid=120120820000119767&cadevice=c

Herman Trivilino

Especially after watching the video you posted, Mark, I think I'll stick with the Victorinox.

I'm a regular viewer of both of those shows and I too noticed that they seem to use that knife exclusively.

I think the key to getting it as sharp as it was when it was new is a smaller bevel angle, maybe 12o instead of the 15o that I used. Next time, which should be in about another two years!

By the way, this knife had not been abused and had no visible nicks. It was just dull. Nevertheless I found that I had to prepare the grindstone coarse in order to raise a burr. And even then I couldn't get a really good burr. Very hard steel.

grepper

I don't see a Kramer in my future either. 

Herman said, "Nevertheless I found that I had to prepare the grindstone coarse in order to raise a burr. And even then I couldn't get a really good burr. Very hard steel."

That's interesting Herman, because HRC 55-56 isn't all that particularly hard, just sort of average as kitchen knives go.  I wonder if it's the fine grain of the steel that makes the difference?  I don't get it.  The thing holds up almost as well as the Kramer, which is much harder.  I suspect that in many ways Kramer's knives are far superior to Victorinox, but really worth it for the average kitchen?

I'm going to order the Forschner and check it out.

Here's a cool video about Bob.  Pretty interesting and talented guy.  Search YouTube for Bob Kramer.  Tons of stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-OCoS81G2CY

Herman Trivilino

Quote from: grepper on November 19, 2014, 03:57:24 AM
I wonder if it's the fine grain of the steel that makes the difference?

I can see how the small grains would make it harder to raise (or detect) a burr.

QuoteHere's a cool video about Bob.

I remember watching that piece when it first aired a couple years ago or so. I wouldn't mind having one of those but I can't see myself spending that much money for a knife. The only thing I use them for is to cut food.

grepper

Seven years ago Herman.  Time flies, huh.

While the whole thread is interesting, see:
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/685544-Victorinox-Edge-Angle?p=7412913#post7412913
At the bottom of the image under Sharpenig.

After a bunch of searching, oddly, I have not been able to find factory specs on the original bevel angle of the Victorinox Forschner knife.  Probably have to write to Victorinox.  I think it's odd that information is so difficult to find.

Even more interestingly, they state HRC 53-55.  No wonder chipping is not a problem.  That's pretty soft.  Tight grain steel must make a big difference.

I'll try to measure it when I get a new one.  I have a enough knives!  But I guess I'm forced to surrender and get this one! :)

SharpenADullWitt

From some of the stuff I saw on them, I think it depends on when it was made as to the angle.  I have seen reference that the older ones were at a twenty degree angle while the newer ones (and the sharpener they sell) are at a fifteen degree angle.
But the angle of the sharper they recommend/use at ATK is twenty degree's per side.
Now going to Victorinox's site, on their sharpening recommendation/pdf they say 15-20 degree's.
Favorite line, from a post here:
Quote from: Rob on February 24, 2013, 06:11:44 PM
8)

Yeah you know Tormek have reached sharpening nirvana when you get a prosthetic hand as part of the standard package :/)

Herman Trivilino

The video you posted ...

Quote from: grepper on November 18, 2014, 11:46:37 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e50gujs4l-I

makes me think the bevel angle is less than 15o. The tiny grain size may mean that polishing the edge can really make it cut through a piece of paper with great smoothness. Jeff has taught us that on a Tormek that means spending quite a bit of time with the fine side of the stone grader with a lot of pressure. And then a proper hone.

Herman Trivilino

Quote from: grepper on November 19, 2014, 05:07:00 AM
Seven years ago Herman.  Time flies, huh.

Wow! Maybe my viewing wasn't the first time it aired. That show has a habit of reusing their pieces.

Either that or time really does fly!

grepper

Sorry, I was wrong about the date.  CBS News site says it was November 22, 2009.

Time still flies though.

Jimmy R Jørgensen

Still a pretty good knife or ?. Thinking about buying one?
If it's not broken, DON'T fix it.

Herman Trivilino

Yes, we use it every day and I've had to sharpen it on the Tormek only once or twice. The steel keeps it sharp.