News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

SVD-185 Stpp Ring

Started by flygrimm, October 25, 2014, 03:50:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

flygrimm

Hi all.  This is my first post here.  I have a T-7 with the wood turners box.  I've had it for a couple of years and really don't have much experience with it.  I am trying to get back into turning.  I went to sharpen my bowl gouge tonight and I can't get the profile to match.  I have set js to 2, p to 65 and using the A hole of the TTS 100.  If I set the shaft setting to 2 I can get it to match, but I am not sure what the 'normal' shaft setting should be.  I have a feeling that I set the shaft and js setting to the same thing when I ground it originally.  Should the shaft be set to zero unless I am trying to round off the bevel?

Thanks for the help.

Stuart

Rob

Hi Stuart and welcome to the forum.

Have a good look at this video by Jeff Farris. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TyScXCyh4Jc

I would also recommend you download and read the Tormek manual which is available free to all customers from their website.
Hope that helps.
Best.    Rob.

flygrimm

Thanks Rob

I watched the video and the stop ring was set to zero the whole time.  There was no mention of it at all though.  The manual only mentions the stop ring if you want to round off the bevel, other than that, I can find nothing about it.  I do have all the literature.

I went back and set the stop ring to zero and reground the gouge with the original settings and the profile is actually much better looking.  The wings are now more swept back whereas before they were more vertical and prone to catches.  So it appears it should be set to zero unless rounding of the bevel is desired.

Thanks

Stuart