News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Knife maker question

Started by kcbulldog, January 25, 2006, 03:37:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kcbulldog

Jeff,
I have been admiring the Tormek for some time, but recently found your website and this great forum. Your video on the site are absolutely great selling point. I first saw the Tormek at the local Woodcraft store and nobody could comment on it let alone demonstrate it.  I am strongly considering a purchase from your company, however, as a knife maker, I'm looking for "the system" to apply the best possible edge to the knives I make and own. Many of the owners of my custom knives return them to me over time to resharpen them and I would like to return them with a professional and accurate edge bevel.

I've seen the video on the straight knives and its great. But how about the pocket knives and the variety of edges? For an example, I have several knives I've made utilizing a "recurve profile" (looks like an elongated "s"). Appears to me that as long as the blade's edge is all on the same plane, this shouldn't be a problem sharpening on the Tormex. Your thoughts on sharpening this type of edge and those in general on the pocket knives and the new tactical (read as larger than a whittler) knives.

Hope to see you in Overland Park next month--Dan

epw314

Ed Weigman

Anything Sharp
172 Mountain Lake Estates
Hawley,Pa 18428
570 685 9755

kcbulldog

Ed,
not that good at posting pix, however if you check this website it will show the pix--hence the recurve portion--

http://knifeoutlet.com/shop/10Expand.asp?ProductCode=KER1580

epw314

Yes those knives can be done.When you get to the curve you have to lift up on the handle.Look at the vidio on Jeffs sight .Then practice on cheap knives.You will be amazed!
Ed
Ed Weigman

Anything Sharp
172 Mountain Lake Estates
Hawley,Pa 18428
570 685 9755

kcbulldog

thanks I was hoping I was on the right track--as this would be one of the primary reasons for buying the Tormek-thanks for the help (gotta read all the posts before asking again to prevent duplication)--Dan

Jeff Farris

KC,

The recurve would have to be significantly more pronounced than those you've linked for it to cause a problem.  Bring some samples to the show this weekend, and we'll work through them.

Look forward to seeing you.

JF
Jeff Farris

kcbulldog

thanks Jeff,
if everything goes right, I'll be there--Dan