News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Stone grader

Started by Eiji, January 19, 2006, 07:08:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eiji

I just received my 2006 yesterday. ;D I have sharpened 6 chisels and 3 irons. All with similar results - a highly polished and sharp edge, but with slight scratches still on the bevel intersecting the edge. The scratches are creating a slightly jagged edge that catches when testing the edge on paper. I followed the instructions on grading the stone between grits and have read all the posts. What could I possibly be doing wrong?

Jeff Farris

More pressure and more time with the stone grader.  It should feel like wet glass when it is ready.  
Jeff Farris

Eiji

Jeff, I am a pretty strong fellow so the pressure is not an issue I pressed down so hard that the stone loosened the shaft nut. I have graded the stone for 20 sec, 30 sec ,45 sec, one min and still the stone never felt smooth. Also when cleaning the water bath there is a large amount of the stone particulate in the trough. So I know that the grading stone is working.  Is there a possibility that I have a defective stone that is unable to be graded?

Jeff Farris

It is possible you have a defective stone, but very, very, very unlikely.  Keep experimenting with the stone grader.  It takes some practice to get the stone smooth.  Time and pressure are the keys.
Jeff Farris