News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Tormek TS-740 LACK of important information.

Started by SharpenADullWitt, July 08, 2014, 02:24:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SharpenADullWitt

Since they came out with this, one thing that annoy's me is I have been looking for them to update their information on it, to list DRAWER SIZE.  Guy's, if your listening, when it comes to toolboxes, that is REQUIRED information for those who are trying to determine what best fits their needs.

I gave up waiting. :(
Favorite line, from a post here:
Quote from: Rob on February 24, 2013, 06:11:44 PM
8)

Yeah you know Tormek have reached sharpening nirvana when you get a prosthetic hand as part of the standard package :/)

Ken S

Excellent point. What are the drawer sizes?

Ken S

The chest is too rich for my wallet.  However, it is interesting.  I am leery about storing the grinding wheels outside the chest.  Why have a cover for the unit if the spare wheels are not covered? (No factual basis for this; it's just a feeling.)

The drawer dimensions should be published.  Of particular interest to me is are the deeper drawers capable of holding two grinding wheels?  I presently store them in their original boxes.  I would store them flat and probably stacked together in one of the lower drawers.

Ken

Herman Trivilino

According to Alan Holtham's video the grindstones are stored outside the unit so they can dry out.

It would be nice if someone who owns the TS-740 could post here the dimensions of the shallow and deep drawers.

Like you Ken, the the TS-740 is way outside my sharpening budget.
Origin: Big Bang

SharpenADullWitt

Ken, the above post was my understanding of the wheels (dry out), however Tormek isn't my only sharpening stuff.  I'd like to store my water pond and such in the rack (why I kept looking for drawer sizes), and due to employers medical issues, have had less time and more overtime (only reason price was less concern).

On another site, they were recommending restaurant equipment type of tables (stainless steel, 24" square basically), and those can be found for less then the cost of the sheet of stainless for just the top.  So I am thinking of building my own drawers, when time allows.
8)

Yeah you know Tormek have reached sharpening nirvana when you get a prosthetic hand as part of the standard package :/)

Rob

Can anybody tell me in which universe the TS-740 would be in anyone's budget?  I mean seriously.  If the people on this forum aren't prepared to buy it (ie Tormek freaks for want of a better term) then who is exactly??
Best.    Rob.

Ken S

Rob, Have you priced a new Gerstner box or Kennedy chest lately? While the Tormek chest may seem pricey to the forum folk, it is not overpriced compared to comparable industrial products. I'm not talking about the "big box" store chests with few drawers.  I'm talking the tool chests used for generations by the machinists and toolmakers to hold their precious Starrett tools are indeed pricey. 

Personally, I would invest in a second Tormek unit first.  Being able to go directly from the standard wheel to the fine Japanese wheel would be a real luxury.  For someone who had varied needs including a lot of high speed steel, having a second dedicated unit with the SB wheel would also be a luxury.
I will probably never own a Tormek chest, however, there would be at least one Tormek chest in my shop before I even thought of a luxury car.

Ken

SharpenADullWitt

Quote from: Rob on July 09, 2014, 01:05:58 AM
Can anybody tell me in which universe the TS-740 would be in anyone's budget?  I mean seriously.  If the people on this forum aren't prepared to buy it (ie Tormek freaks for want of a better term) then who is exactly??

Let me just say I know the universe, and am allowed into it (friends) but know it is out of my league.
That said, there are also those that (for lack of a pc term), shouldn't afford it, but are the type to have to have this match this, or this top of the line, etc.
8)

Herman Trivilino

Quote from: Rob on July 09, 2014, 01:05:58 AM
Can anybody tell me in which universe the TS-740 would be in anyone's budget?

You'd be surprised, Rob.  There are lots of people who would consider that cost to be insignificant and this forum a waste of their time.
Origin: Big Bang

jeffs55

Personally, I would invest in a second Tormek unit first.  Being able to go directly from the standard wheel to the fine Japanese wheel would be a real luxury.  For someone who had varied needs including a lot of high speed steel, having a second dedicated unit with the SB wheel would also be a luxury.

I have a second Tormek set up just as you suggested, with a 4000 grit Japanese stone that is not a Tormek product. Also, just as you said; it is a luxury that is just that. It is a luxury that is not needed at all. Use the money on this chest if you have that kind of discretionary funding. I have used the fine grade stone and it makes an edge shine like silver but does not make it noticeably sharper that the finely graded Tormek stone.

Ken
[/quote]
You can use less of more but you cannot make more of less.

Stickan

Measurment for the draws,

Wide:               381 mm/15 tum
Depht:                  291 mm/11,46 tum

High:              60 mm/2,36 tum
                             97 mm/3,82 tum

Regards,
Stig

Ken S

Thanks, Stig. 
For those Neanderthals like me who are still using the "English" measurement, I think "tum" means the drawers are 15" wide by 11.46" deep and either 2.36" or 3.82" in height.

The chest seems well designed to allow a lot of storage with a very small footprint in the shop.

Ken

Stickan

Sorry about that, thank you for noticing that Ken ;-)

SharpenADullWitt

We should be happy you talk, Stig.  Normally I just see you drive fast and not say a word. ;D
8)

Ken S

I found this while surfing, and thought it would be of interest here.  Note the comment on work height.

THE SHARPENING STATION TS-740
Smart New Addition From Tormek

Tormek takes sharpening of edge tools to a whole new level of comfort, control and convenience. "Most benches are too tall to give you the correct control of your sharpening. When your shoulders are relaxed and your arms extended about waist high you're in a more comfortable position. You can apply the right amount of pressure and get the best results," according to Håkan Persson, CEO of Tormek, Sweden.

Based on this all-important observation, Tormek designed the Sharpening Station TS-740 where you will always have the perfect working position, adjustable to your height. Also, with the drawers designed to fit the Tormek accessory kits, your favourite jigs and accessories are always to hand and everything has its place. In short, you get a real sharpening station! "Comfort equals control when you're using power tools," added Persson.

The Tormek TS-740 Sharpening Station is the first purpose-built workstation for sharpeners. Some of its important features include:

Sturdy Steel Cabinet — Sleek design with rounded corners, durable and attractive.
Tough Work Surface — Hard moisture proof composite work surface.
Adjustable height — Set the optimal height with the fine adjustment in the feet for a work surface between 29 ½" and 32 " (750 mm to 830 mm) in height.
Perfect Dimensions — Width: 22 ¾" (578 mm), Depth: 15 " (390 mm)
Perfectly sized for the Tormek sharpening system without being too large or intrusive a workshop.
Durable Finish — Steel cabinet has a scratch-resistant powder coating.
Convenient Storage — Six drawers in total; three include the custom inserts designed to hold the Tormek jigs and accessories and three further drawers include non-slip rubber pads.
Quality Construction — Auto-return drawer mechanisms for soft closure.
Lockable Cabinet — Single, centralized lock secures all drawers.
Hanging Storage —Cabinet sides are designed to accept hooks for hanging additional stones, etc.
"Most workshops are pressed for space. The Tormek Sharpening Station has a small footprint so it's not in the way. And having all your jigs and accessories right there at your fingertips, in the drawers below the machine helps keep everything organized" says Tormek's Håkan Persson.

www.tormek.com

Unfortunately the photo did not survive the copy-paste.

Ken