News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Cant figure out how to sharpen a Tanto Blade

Started by That Sharpening Guy, June 16, 2014, 08:52:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

That Sharpening Guy

I cant figure out how to sharpen a tanto blade. Is there any video out there that demonstrates how to do this on the tormek?? Please help!!

Thanks!!

Rob

You'll be wanting Herman to give you the solution to that one.  He'll be along presently.  He has gone some considerable distance in understanding and developing systems to sharpen short bladed knives.
Best.    Rob.

Herman Trivilino

Small knives can be sharpened with the new SVM-00:

http://tormek.com/international/en/grinding-jigs/svm-00-small-knife-holder/

It requires that you also have the SVM-45 knife jig.

You can also fashion a homemade jig like I did here:

http://forum.tormek.com/index.php?topic=1592.msg6634#msg6634
Origin: Big Bang

jeff.irick65

Has anyone tried the SVS-50 on a tanto blade?

grepper

What is giving you difficulty?  The tip?  Got a picture of it?

Stickan

Hi,
I am meeting a guy next week who sells those knifes. I will get back to you with a suggestion on how to do it, I've done it some time ago and I know I used 2 jigs but not witch two :-)
Tanto knives has different angles out from the knife-blade and can be tricky. Using SVS-50 will need the blade to rest on its bevel and I would not do that.
Next Friday I will know!

Have a nice weekend!
Stig

Stickan

Hi,
I got 2 new EKA tactical knifes with Tanto blades to learn how to sharpen this kind of knives and after trying both SVS-50 and SE-76 I figured out that on these specific knifes, the blade is to short to get the right protrusion so I ended up using the SVM-45 knife jig.
First I sharpened the smaller edge/tanto edge at both sides and clamped the jig parallel to the edge and close to the edge.
Then I sharpened the blade edge and got a perfect result after trying it 2 times. I was paying attention so I got the meeting point at the edges to get really good and I I got it 100% correct.
So, You can sharpen it with the SVM-45 but you need to clamp it twice and check the angle twice.
However, there are some Tanto knifes on the market with slightly curved edges and I have not tried sharpening those but I cant see no reason that there will be a problem with getting a good result on them as well.

Stig