News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Stone Glazing

Started by Bioman, June 15, 2014, 07:44:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bioman

Is it normal for the stone to glaze after a few tools?   :(  I am establishing correct bevels, so I am taking of a lot of steel.  But is it normal to have to use the resurfacing diamond every three or four tools.  I seem to be getting all of my wear on the outer edges of the stone, I think because the center glazes/clogs so quickly and only the outer edges seem to be cutting.  Also, the resurfacing stone seems to do little to prevent this.

Herman Trivilino

Quote from: Bioman on June 15, 2014, 07:44:26 PM
But is it normal to have to use the resurfacing diamond every three or four tools.

No, not the diamond truing tool.

QuoteAlso, the resurfacing stone seems to do little to prevent this.

You're referring to the coarse side of the stone grader?  I will use it to refresh the surface as soon as I feel it needs it.  Often several times during the sharpening of one tool, just to keep it fresh.  Also change the water when it gets too dirty.  Use the corner of the stone grader, apply lots of force, and do it for over a minute or two each time.
Origin: Big Bang