News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

many questions (problems)

Started by jazzlover, January 29, 2014, 12:46:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken S

Herman Trivilino

That's a good point, Tony.  The learning process puts a lot of wear on the grindstone, and as newbies many of us were reluctant to wear out that precious grindstone.

Looking back, I now see it like being reluctant to learn how to drive a new car for fear of wearing out the brake shoes.

The grindstone is designed to wear away.  My main shaft rusted itself into my original grindstone ruining it long before I ever wore it out.

I'm on my second grindstone now.  I hope to live a long life, but that grindstone may outlast me.
Origin: Big Bang

Rob

Try sharpening some planar blades :-)
Best.    Rob.

Herman Trivilino

Real carpenters use hand planes, Rob.  We don't need no stinkin' planar blades.   ;)

Rob

very wise Herman......I also hate rotten planar blades
Best.    Rob.

Herman Trivilino

Well, you know I'm just kidding.  I wish I had a planar and a place to keep one.  I used to have a table saw that had a jointer.  Nice piece of equipment but I had trouble adjusting the jointer blades. 

Rob

I've got a Oneway Dial micrometer that's embedded in a very solid steel machines perfectly flat base which is also magnetic.  See it here (at about 24 mins 40 secs) in action with the wood whisperer testing it.  Very useful and accurate bit of kit for setting all manner of precision gaps, heights etc.

http://www.thewoodwhisperer.com/videos/jointer-setup/

So setup isn't my concern....sharpening the dam things is the hard part.
Best.    Rob.