News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

SVD185 BOWL GOUGE HOLDING

Started by J, December 17, 2013, 08:45:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J

How do you hold a bowl gouge in place in the Jig when it is worn down to where your have to hold it  in the jig on the cylindercal portion of the gouge shaft . It keeps slipping even when I have flattened the top side of the shaft .any thoughts are appreciated.
                                                                          JD         

Jeff Farris

Grind a big flat on the round section, parallel with the top of the flute. If you've done that, and it is still slipping, your flat isn't big enough, or it is angled toward the cutting edge. It needs to be relatively flat and at least a quarter inch wide. As much as I love the Tormek, it isn't the right tool for doing the job of cutting the flat. Use a belt sander, belt grinder, high speed grinder or (best choice) a milling machine. I have to do this on my detail gouge (RSorby 1/2 inch spindle gouge) relatively early in it's life because of a long projection.
Jeff Farris