News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

New T-7 owner

Started by 65BAJA, October 27, 2013, 05:55:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

65BAJA

I just ordered a T-7 with accessories from Amazon. Can't wait to get it in and sharpen my turning tools. I've been using water stones and a Veritas jig for my plane irons but didn't have a sharpening system for my lathe tools. Now that that dilemma is solved I hope to do a lot more turning. Pens, bowls, candle holders, and whatever else.

Im also interested in the drill bit sharpener attachment. My dad has a Drill Doctor but I've never been able to get consistent results with it.

Eric.

Herman Trivilino

Quote from: 65BAJA on October 27, 2013, 05:55:22 AM
I just ordered a T-7 with accessories from Amazon. Can't wait to get it in and sharpen my turning tools.

Welcome to the forum, Eric.  Did you order the package that includes the jigs for sharpening turning tools?

QuoteI'm also interested in the drill bit sharpener attachment. My dad has a Drill Doctor but I've never been able to get consistent results with it.

From what I've seen the DBS-22 is a far more precise system than the drill doctor.  I'm happy with my drill doctor, though.
Origin: Big Bang

65BAJA

The package had the turning tool jigs and I think hand tool jigs too. Which will be nice because I have some cheap steak knives that could use a better edge. I'll probably end up spending a few days running around looking for things to sharpen just because.  :P

Thats good to hear about the DBS-22. I have a whole 30ish piece set of bits where maybe only 5 or 6 of them don't have chips on the corners.

65BAJA

T-7 showed up yesterday. ;D Sharpened all my Sorby turning tools and tried them out on a test piece of wood. They never cut this good even out of the box new! I don't see myself going back to Easy wood tools anytime soon. May have to pick up a couple new gouges so I can try some of the different fingernail profiles.

I do have a question. The DVD's that came with the Jig sets and the T-7 itself, are they how to videos? I didn't get a chance to pop them into the player last night.

Exact Blade

I have the DB22 jig and a Drill Doctor- drill doctor good for quick standard sharpening and for smaller bits.

The tormek is great to put a 4 facet point on larger and more expensive bits.  use the magnafier glass to make sure 4 edges meet dead center in the drill bit.

i posted a drill bit demo on my youtube channel showing how a 4 facet bites into something with very little thrust.  www.youtube.com/exactblade
Exact Blade Inc.

Exact Blade

I use the dbs for larger expensive bits, charge $9.  I use Drill Doctor for cone tip twist bits, charge 80 cents per bit, minimum 25 bits.  We call the deal bucket-o-bits.  Sometime we will do one 4 facet for free, mixed in w the order.  The customer will undoubtedly see the difference and want more. 
Exact Blade Inc.