News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Universal Support is too short

Started by MakerUnknown, July 23, 2013, 10:00:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MakerUnknown

Does anybody else feel that the support bar is too short?  Many times when I'm sweeping back and forth the jig comes off the bar.  I see there is a stop for the bar to prevent this but I like to pull the jig off the bar to observe progress.

Rhino

Get the SVD-110 and a c-clamp.  Or get 2 of each.  I find them to be a lot of fun and useful.  Mount them so that the long part is up.  This will effectively lengthen the universal support a few inches. 

If you only buy 1 SVD-110, clamp a ruler or a board or a 2x4 on with a c-clamp. 

If you clamp a clipboard or a big board, you can extend by 6 inches or 10 inches depending on your clipboard.

The good aspect is that you don't have to machine or fabricate anything.  You just have to buy some stuff and use off the shelf items.

You should judge the safety of these designs yourself. I am just providing suggestions.  You have to be responsible for your own safety.

Ken S

Paul,  what are you sharpening where the USB seems too short?

This came up once before with cleavers.  Robin posted the question and also followed through very nicely by designing and having machined a very good taller USB.

Ken

Jeff Farris

Ken,

I believe he is saying that the horizontal section is too short, not the height adjustment.

If you're running off the edge with a straight tool in the SE-76 Square Edge Jig, you're not jigged up correctly. You need to be solidly indexed against the right edge.
Jeff Farris

Ken S

Good point, Jeff. 

Paul, when you look at the SE-76 from the side of your Tormek with the label, the"Tormek" on the label of the machine should be right side up and the "Tormek" on the jig label should be upside down.  Is this so with your set up?

Ken

Rhino

Opps.  I misread the original post.  You are right, it refers to being too short in the horizontal dimension.  :)  I need to read more carefully.   I have nothing to contribute in this dimension - never thought about this question.

MakerUnknown

I live and work in large warehouse.  Right now I am pushing both the photo studio and the workshop toward the rear because this weekend I am doing my huge annual BBQ.  The Tormek is now buried behind stuff.  When it sees the light of day, I'll take a couple pics of what I mean.

Rhino

Your web page looks so cool.  Can't wait to see the pictures of your workspace/studio/warehouse.  I would send you a picture of mine - but it is just a desk and a lot of paper - not interesting :)

MakerUnknown

This was taken a couple years ago...the wood shop part.
At this point there's a lot more stuff...too much stuff. 

Rob

That's a pretty serious workshop :-)
Best.    Rob.

grepper

Gasp!  Drool...  Hey!  I want one of those too.

That's a beautiful old funky leather chair, and I like the fact that it's piped for sound and it appears that you may have adorned the walls with some of your photography.  I love the cool curved workbench. (Nice wide angle shot there. :) )

Nice dust collection system too. 

But the room.  All that wonderful room and storage and good lighting. 

Rob

The speakers on the rear wall weren't wasted on me either :-)
Best.    Rob.

mike40

I hate big shops because they make me dissatisfied with mine. i will however admit that it is a very cool shop now that the damage is already done.
Mike

MakerUnknown

Finally getting back to this.
So in picture one you can see I cannot sweep the, in this case a plane iron, across the full width of the stone because the holder is hitting the horizontal bar.  It fails in this position.
Picture two.  If I switch the jig around the iron can not even go across the full width of the stone before falling off the support bar.  It fails in this position as well.
I maintain the bar is too short.

Ken S

Paul,

The problem of the jig falling off the end was solved when this jig was replaced by the SE-76.  All you need to correct this is a part:  (from the sharptoolsusa website)

Tormek Systems
Accessories, Jigs and Attachments
Upgrades & Replacements
Replacement Parts

Diagram Key   Part   Qty. Req.   Price ea.   Order
3   3120 Bushing - Various Jigs   2   $ 0.90   
4   0500 Spring - Various Jigs   2   $ 0.60   
5   5120 Threaded stud - SVH-320 & SE-76   2   $ 1.30   
6   2320 Clamp - SE-76   1   $ 20.80   
7   7020 Knob nut   2   $ 5.70   
8   1091 Stop Ring   1   $ 6.70   
9   7031 Locking Screw   1   $ 8.00   
10   1185 Outer stop   1   $ 4.10   
Return to the Replacement Parts category.

All you need is part number 10, the outer stop.  (It comes with the SE-76 jig, but will also work with the SVH 60.  It screws in to the end of the universal support bar.  The website has a good diagram, which for some reason would not copy/paste.  Use the jig as you have it photographed in the first photo, about to fall off.  the Outer stop will prevent this.

Keep us posted.

Ken