News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Flatten the dressing stone?

Started by Brad I, July 15, 2013, 08:50:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brad I

Hey all, over the years my dressing stone has become deeply concave in spots. Do you flatten yours or just leave it be?

Rob

Hi Brad

You need to flatten (ie true) the stone or you can never hope to get true edges on your tools.  Did yours come with the dimond truing tool that fits onto the universal support bar?

If not you either need to buy one or if you have another non Tormek diamond t bar or other form of diamond dressing tool you can carefully use that until the wheel is both parallel to the usb and exactly flat.  It really MUST be parallel to the usb or you'll run into problems.  The Tormek truing tool guarantees this because the jig is attached to the usb when you dress the stone

Good luck and keep us posted.
Best.    Rob.

RobinW

I think Brad I is referring to the Stone Grader SP-650.

Mine is also showing uneven wear with a grooved area in one part, and I haven't seen anything about re-flattening it.

If it was one of my Japanese watersones I would re-flatten it by rubbing it on silicon carbide sheet which is stuck to a piece of float glass. I assume I should do the same to the Stone Grader.

Rob

Oops...you're right, now I've re-read it.

No don't worry about the grooves in your stone grader...they're good.  Use the same groove each time and the grader sort of locks around the edge of the grinding wheel.
Best.    Rob.

Herman Trivilino

Jeff recommends a concave surface on the fine side of the stone grader. 
Origin: Big Bang