News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

hand plane irons

Started by mike40, June 20, 2013, 05:46:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mike40

Is there a jig for the Tormek T7 that caters to cambered hand plane irons or do they just have to be sharpened freehand?
Mike

Rob

you don't need a jig....use the regular square edge jig and when you get to the end of the pass and half the iron is off the edge of the stone....grind a little extra here.  Then do the same at the opposite side.  Also press a little harder with your fingers when at either of the edges.

This will produce a symmetrical camber allowing you to surface plane or cross grain plane without corner dig in.
Best.    Rob.

Mike Fairleigh

For a normal camber, I agree with Rob.  You can actually affect the edge geometry quite a bit just by paying attention to where you apply pressure.

For a radical camber such as a scrub plane, you can make one yourself like this:

Mike

"If I had 8 hours to chop down a tree, I'd spend 7 sharpening my axe."  --Abraham Lincoln

Rob

Nice Mike......just the letters LN get me all gooey inside :-)
Best.    Rob.

mike40

Thanks Rob and Mike. Looks like a great result Mike, and the jig looks good too for more radical camber.
Mike