News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

The BGM-100....it's a winner

Started by Rob, June 21, 2013, 08:42:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rob

Well folks I completed my sharpening and sanding station today.  It's a table with shelves that houses the T7, the new dry grinder with BGM-100 permanently setup and a small sanding machine for the bottoms of some turned pieces after spigot removal.

I'll post some pics when I get chance.

The BGM is a total winner.  Being able to access my jigs on a dry grinder for fast steel removal is just fantastic.  Now if I'm turning bowls I'll have the tormek setup for gouges and the BGM setup for scraper sharpening.  No messing about with constantly changing jigs.  I'm seriously toying with a 2nd BGM for the wheel on the right so I can have three different jig setups permanently.  Skews in the multi jig for example....that's a bind to have to change everything over but if its ready to go...brilliant.

I'm extremely impressed with the BGM.  I tested it on my favourite bowl gouge.  Did it perfect on the tormek as normal then sharpied the bevel and transferred it to the the dry grinder using the tts to match the grind on the T7.  It made a perfect replica of the grind first time....not even a tiny secondary facet...awesome.

I must say I'm also pretty impressed with the results straight off the dry grinder in terms of tool sharpness.  And on HSS, boy is it fast.  I reckon the time taken to shape a skew is about 1/20th that of the tormek...if that.  The solution has worked really well...I'm pleased.  The Tormek jigs are superb.
Best.    Rob.

MakerUnknown

Although I've owned the Tormek for a long time and use it frequently, I have not kept up on all the latest new jigs and whatnot.  I went looking at this after your post.  Looks very well thought out and useful.  As we all know the Tormek is not known for rapid removal of metal and the grinder is.

Rob

True...I only really found that to be a problem when re-shaping HSS tools.  Specifically, skew chisels and planar knife blades (machine planar).  Both cases the surface area of steel to remove is large by comparison with many other edge tools.  This is where I found the limitations of the Tormek.  It can do them (I did) but the time taken to remove that much very hard steel is unacceptable to me personally.  That's what took me down the path to faster, less refined dry grinding.

But the Tormek has never let me down in all other operations and I find it particularly excellent at turning tools.  Again, its really important to draw attention to the difference between shaping and sharpening. The latter the T7 is king; the former its mostly good with the exception of large surface area High speed steel tools.

The BGM simply allows you to lift the control and accuracy "off the Tormek" and stick it on your dry grinder.  I've not found overheating to be a problem at all....you just need to be careful that's all and not go bonkers with the hand pressure.  The jigs take all the sweat out of it.  I really am quite serious about buying a 2nd BGM for the 2nd dry grinder wheel and also a 2nd multi jig with the skew chisel seat mounted so I have three permanent setups.

Gouge jig on the tormek.........torlok on one wheel for scrapers and parting tools ) I freehand parting tools but gauge the angle by eye first on the torlok and as mentioned above for skews.  Then I've got my range for turning pretty much covered.  I'm not doing much with hollow forms right now but I do a lot of both spindle and bowl work and those three setups cover it all pretty much.

I don't know how other turners feel, but I get frustrated constantly changing the jigs from one setup to another....I know other setup aids speed it up (spacer block, TTS etc) but it's a little like the boot up time for a laptop....its just one of those little niggles.  When I'm in "full flow" at some critical juncture on the lathe, I really hate being interrupted by the need to stop and go through a jig setup.  The notion of being able to reach for a choice of three setups, one of which will be ready is something that really appeals to the temperamental sculptor in me.

It probably has something to do with left brain right brain. At that last few end cuts on a piece....I always want to resharpen to minimise tool marks and therefore sanding.......and yet that's the point where your right brain is really "in tune" with the curves of the piece.  To have to stop that and go into a really mechanical left brain activity like setup a jig.....jars me somehow.  Even though the setup for my bowl gouges is completely routine now (a ritual almost).

So I appreciate its total and utter luxury to want three setups...with the BGM, it's not that expensive to be frank (£48) I paid for mine and of course I already have the jigs.
Best.    Rob.

Ken S

Well done, Rob. 

With your well thought through, efficient sharpening setup, you will be more apt to sharpen more often.  What might have seemed "almost ready for sharpening" in your turning tools may never be seen again.  The newfound keenness in your edges is sure to support you in turning to the next level.

I believe you have found the sweet spot in the Tormek.  You have found an intelligent related alternative method for heavy shaping.  You have allowed the Tormek to do what it does best.  You have focused on what you need to achieve and you have achieved it.

I look forward to reading your future turning/sharpening posts.

Ken