News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

New Jig for Various Blades

Started by RobinW, May 18, 2013, 12:22:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RobinW

Under the post 'Spokeshave Challenge' I came up with an additional plate for the SVM45 so that it could hold small spokeshave blades and also use the SE76 so that better control and square alignment can be achieved.

However when I still had another two problems. Another spokeshave blade would not fit into the SVM45 (or my modified version) due to the small lugs between the faces of the jig. Another blade I have a problem sharpening is one from a Veritas Scraper plane. This blade is 73mm (2 7/8") wide and 100mm (4")  from front to back. It has a tapered shape at the back end. It has to sharpened at 45 degree. Whilst this can be achieved by clamping it in the SE76, it does not use the registration face of the SE76 due to the shape, and has to extend well out in order to make the 45 degree bevel..

So tonight's effort is shown below where I have the basis of a jig which will cope with a wide range of blades and fits into the SE76. I have made this from acrylic sheet (which is pretty strong as the company I got it from uses it as protection over stained glass windows).

I have a top and bottom plate as shown in the first photo which also shows both the blades (so will cover a wide range in between).

I have used a line of screws and nuts down each side to that the plates will not cockle and pressure can be applied over the depth of the blade.

The following photo shows the spokeshave blade set up for 25 degree bevel and grinding towards the edge.

The next two photos show the scraper plane blade set for 45 degree bevel and grinding away from the edge.

Countersunk screws were used and as the screw heads do not protrude below the bottom face of the plate this could be used with Herman's HK50 or the Tormek SVD110. The red line was applied so that I could eyeball the blade alignment.

It was too late to try it in anger, that's the weekend's job. I think it is strong enough to use without flexing being an issue. It would benefit from a grid or some blade alignment marks so that registration with the jig edge and subsequently into the SE76 all correspond. Using the marker pen method on the bevel would soon show up the alignment. The scraper plane blade is a big thing, so if you had smaller blades then you would make your jig somewhat smaller than this one. However I can cover all sizes now and my fingers will appreciate that!

RobinW

I have now used the new jig on the spokeshave blade as illustrated in the second photo posted earlier and it went very well.

The blade was lined up in the jig by eyeball. I haven't filed the sides of the jig, or checked the front edge and sides for perpendicularity - I just used it straight from the bandsaw! The acrylic sheet did bow a little over the blade when clamped tight by the screws along each side. I put the jig into the SE76 (as per the photograph) and used the marker pen trick to show me how things went. I didn't do any re-aligning of the blade in the jig, or the jig in the SE76 and it came out bang on. (If only all the other jobs went like that!). I also used the jig to hand hold the blade whilst I flattened the back briefly on the side of the wheel, then used waterstones and polished up by hand holding on the leather wheel. The bevel I honed up on the leather wheel.

Mounted in the spokeshave (it's very old, made by Preston) I tried it out on some mahogany and it went like a dream. So in recent weeks I have gone from zero confidence and ability with a spokeshave to having 5 different types all very sharp, tuned up and confident that I can now use then efficiently. What a difference it makes when you can sharpen them up to a high degree. I also have an extra jig which can hold a wide variety of flat blades. My finger joints also appreciate that it works well. Great result so celebrated with a drop of malt whisky.

Elden

Glad it worked well for you Robin.
Elden

Rob

Looks good Robin....and if it catalysed a drop of Malt.....well....even better  :P
Best.    Rob.

Elden

Robin, have you used this jig for the spokeshave blade with the two lugs that you mentioned in

http://forum.tormek.com/index.php?topic=1656.0 ?
Elden

RobinW

Not yet. It's still on the agenda, but other things have got in the way, like essential house maintenance. I'm away for a few days now. But it should rise to the top of the pile before long. I'll post it when I'm back on the job.