News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

SVS-32

Started by webrider, April 07, 2013, 03:53:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

webrider

I have a short chisel I am trying to grind with the svs-32. I can't seem to get it square and sometimes I get different bevels showing up when I check how the grinding is proceeding. I have tried to deep pressure on the frunt part of the holder and the rear of the holder to try and keep it square but no luck. there seems to be a wobbel between the two parts of the holder that effects the square. What am I doing wrong?

Herman Trivilino

Quote from: webrider on April 07, 2013, 03:53:08 AM
there seems to be a wobbel between the two parts of the holder that effects the square.

I don't understand.  What's wobbling?

Make sure your grindstone is true.  If not, you'll never get the chisel end square.  It takes constant checking of the squareness, applying extra force to the longer side, even under the best of conditions.
Origin: Big Bang

webrider

Thank you, you have forced me to remember the golden rule of investigateing. Start simple and at the beginning. A wobbel is the rocking mothion resulting when two flat serfaces come in contact with each other and are not actually flat. Either the USB has a crown on it and is not flat or the flat of the blade of the chisel has the crown. It is the only way I can think of that there can be a wobbel, in this case. It looks like a factory serface in both cases so I will start with the blade and try and flaten the chisel. Without two flat serfaces comming together it would be imopssable to grind a flat cutting serface. By the way the stone has been trued multiple times so unless the trueing tool is not working correct the stone is true and it is going to be hard to check more than every few seconds. Also I understand you are covering all the bases.

Herman Trivilino

Quote from: webrider on April 07, 2013, 05:02:31 PM
Either the USB has a crown on it and is not flat or the flat of the blade of the chisel has the crown.

With the machine off hold the chisel as if you were sharpening it.  If it rocks against the grindstone then the bevel on the chisel is not flat.  You will have to carefully hold the chisel so it doesn't rock while grinding.  This should get the bevel flat and eliminate the wobbling.

A crown in the US bad enough to cause the wobble would have to be obvious to see.  Just hold it up against a straight edge and see if it's bent.  I doubt it could be the cause of your problem.

QuoteBy the way the stone has been trued multiple times so unless the trueing tool is not working correct the stone is true and it is going to be hard to check more than every few seconds.

You don't have to keep checking the grindstone to see if it's true.  You have to keep checking the end of the chisel to see if it's square.

Just do the best you can.  If a chisel is slightly out of square it's not going to affect its performance anyway.  Getting chisels square is one of the challenges to using the Tormek.

Another, as I'm finding out, is getting a smooth bevel on the curved portion of a knife edge.
Origin: Big Bang