News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

maintenance sharpening

Started by fraseman999, March 19, 2013, 10:32:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken S

Herman,

Yes, the premium blades from Ron Hock, Lee Valley and Lie-Nielsen are quite amazing.

However, I have watched Ernie Conover tune and sharpen a couple very old Stanley planes with the original blades and then do some very fine planing with them.  Don't underestimate your Dad's oldies when lovingly tuned and sharpened.  (During that class I restored my grandfather's 1891 vintage Stanley Bailey jack plane.  It's a trooper and back on active duty.)

Ken

Rob

This debate about carbide is interesting. My thoughts are kind of with Ken in that I know advertising speak when I hear it. Carbide gets positioned by the marketeers as virtually infallible.....but we know better :-)

Having said that, I wouldn't be without my 80 tooth table saw carbide tipped blade....the finish...lovely.  But then the steep angle is appropriate.

But Hermans right about modern steel chemistry....I mean that lie Nielsen smoother....talk about zero chatter with that monster A2 blade....it's just a joy to behold and use. Actually, I would seriously consider putting one in a presentation case and hanging it up.....they are a form of sculpture in my view.

But I also restored my Dads war era Stanley bailey and it works a charm.  It just doesn't feel quite as solid as the LN equivalent.....but it feels different for nostalgic reasons.....so because I care about it....those feelings get engineered into the work

Tell you what....I should put a new LN blade into my old plane.....that should be nirvana :-)
Best.    Rob.

Ken S

Rob,

If you are thinking nirvana, think Canadian.  Our brothers to the north have some amazing plane blades.

Veritas (Lee Valley) has that amazing new powder alloy.  Plus they flatten and polish their blade backs to tool and die shop tolerances.  Your only complaint might be that you don't get to spend enough sharpening time with it.

Rob Cosman does a very impressive series of  you tubes promoting his line of blades.  I'm thinking of the one where he puts one of his wunderblades in an old Stanley plane and happily goes about making .001" full length shavings in maple.

A third Canadian option is IBC. Their blades sound impressive as well.

I have no doubt you would be delighted with a Lie-Nielsen or Ron Hock blade.  Both are superb products.  I just happen to think in this case, Veritas has a slight "edge" (sorry about the pun).

By the way, if you are planning to use your Dad's plane, and you should, do it right and buy the combination of a new blade and a new chip breaker. move on past one of the chief plane gremlins. Give your Dad's old Stanley the full chance to sing.   I hope you will do this.

By the way, never put a L-N plane in a museum. Our museums are filled with lovely old musical instruments in pristine condition.  They are still in that condition because they looked great, but weren't very playable.  The real instruments became played out long ago.  No L-N plane deserves that fate. 

Rob

You are funny Ken :/)

I might just treat my Dads plane to a new combo of breaker and blade. I do use it now with the originals, more than any other plane in fact. I love it. I bet it would plane on its own with a Veritas blade and chip breaker :-)
Best.    Rob.

Ken S

Rob, check out Rob Cosman's videos.  He is definitely a salesman, but his technique and products are very solid.

Ken

Rob

Best.    Rob.

fraseman999

Hi Folks,

I think I started a good one here!

Some fantastic replies.

Thanks to all

John

Rob

Best.    Rob.