News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Threading a universal support

Started by afx, March 12, 2013, 10:18:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RichColvin

Quote from: afx on March 12, 2013, 10:18:28 PM
The tormek I got was an older one without the threaded support so I was wondering if it were possible to thread the arm to dial in an angle.

AFX,

I had an older USB also.  I cut off the side where the new USB is threaded, & welded on a threaded rod.  That works great !

Kind regards,
Rich
---------------------------
Rich Colvin
www.SharpeningHandbook.info - a reference guide for sharpening

You are born weak & frail, and you die weak & frail.  What you do between those is up to you.

Ken S

Good idea, Rich, for anyone skilled in welding. For non welders like, unless you know a welder, I think the most cost effective option is just purchasing a new US-105.

Ken

Herman Trivilino

Quote from: Ken S on January 25, 2018, 05:44:48 PM
Good idea, Rich, for anyone skilled in welding. For non welders like, unless you know a welder, I think the most cost effective option is just purchasing a new US-105.

Good idea, Ken. But if I had done that I'd still have the old one about, with its unthreaded shaft. The Yankee in me would just have to do something about that.  ;)
Origin: Big Bang

Ken S

Herman,

The ingenious Yankee in you can find many uses for an unthreaded support bar. It works great with the famous Herman platform or the Torlock platform. With the TTS-100 for turning tools, the Distance between the support bar and grinding wheel is set by the holes in the jig. No microadjust needed. I never use the microadjust with chisels and planes. I adapt the TTS-100. The kenjig works fine without a threaded support bar. With care, Wootz' computer applet should also work, slthough the micro adjust simplifies things with the program. The list is only limited by one's imagination.

As a fellow Yankee, I would not exaggerate.

Ken

Elden

But the Southener says make do with what you have and thread it!
Elden

Ken S

Elden,

I certainly meant no slight toward our gentlemen from the South. "Yankee" is often paired with such works as ingenuity, thrift, and cussedness, although the last word would certainly not apply to Herman or me.  :)

Ken

RichColvin

Quote from: Elden on January 30, 2018, 05:52:52 AM
But the Southener says make do with what you have and thread it!

Elden,

I've always loved the line from Ray Wylie Hubbard's song titled, "Henhouse" :

QuoteHe's been in this world for a pretty long time
says 2 nickels ain't worth a dime
he's slow as molasses, he's wrinkled and mean
he don't like Yankees or lima beans

Rich
Rich Colvin

You are born weak & frail, and you die weak & frail.  What you do between those is up to you.

Elden

Ken, no offense taken. I might should have said "Popular Mechanics mentality." After spending some time reading about T. A. Edison, I realize a greater respect for those who blazed the trail.

Rich, interesting quote. I don't remember hearing that one.
Elden

Herman Trivilino

Quote from: Ken S on January 30, 2018, 04:53:59 AM
The ingenious Yankee in you can find many uses for an unthreaded support bar. It works great with the famous Herman platform or the Torlock platform. With the TTS-100 for turning tools, the Distance between the support bar and grinding wheel is set by the holes in the jig. No microadjust needed. I never use the microadjust with chisels and planes. I adapt the TTS-100. The kenjig works fine without a threaded support bar. With care, Wootz' computer applet should also work, slthough the micro adjust simplifies things with the program. The list is only limited by one's imagination.

Very well thought out, Ken. But no go. Because a threaded bar will also do all those things.  ;)

Ken S

Point well taken, Herman.

Out of curiosity, I wanted to find out when the microadjust threaded support bar was first introduced. This month marks fifteen years. It says something about the longevity of the Tormek that we have so many posts about modifying a part which is older than fifteen years. How many computer forums are still getting posts about Windows 98? To its credit, the present model US-105 universal support bar is plug and play with last millenium Tormeks! I call that customer support.

Incidentally, go to the Tormek website>about Tormek>news archive to find five pages describing when new products were introduced. It's fascinating. When the new website was being developed, a member of this forum contacted Karin, the person in charge of the project, with the request of expanding the news archive. I think the present news archive, much expanded, fulfilled that request very well. Tormek is customer responsive. Thank you, Karin. Well done.

Ken

RichColvin

Ken,

Please never compare the Tormek to Windows.  One is satanic, & the other a great all-around tool sharpening platform.    ;)

Rich
Rich Colvin

Herman Trivilino

Brother Bill withdraws support for his older products!

By the way, I find the micro adjust feature essential when using my platform jig. I can hold the Angle Master in one hand and rotate the micro adjust with other. Makes it quick, easier, and painless to lock in the correct angle. Once locked in I can sharpen any number of knives at that bevel angle without ever making another adjustment to anything.

Ken S

Herman,

I have often stated that I consider the DBS-22 drill bit jig to be Tormek's most advanced jig. I consider the SVD-186 gouge jig and the TTS-100 to be Tormek's most advanced jig and setting tool combination.

I would place the microadjust with your platform jig a close second. I have often mentioned my belief that every serious Tormeker should make one of your platform jigs (using the scissors jig platform as a base, as you do).

Ken

Herman Trivilino

Quote from: Ken S on February 02, 2018, 11:04:03 PM
I would place the microadjust with your platform jig a close second. I have often mentioned my belief that every serious Tormeker should make one of your platform jigs (using the scissors jig platform as a base, as you do).

Thanks. Why won't Tormek make one?

cbwx34

Quote from: Herman Trivilino on February 03, 2018, 08:40:40 PM
Quote from: Ken S on February 02, 2018, 11:04:03 PM

Thanks. Why won't Tormek make one?

They did... they just made it tiny, folded it in half, and put it on the T-2. ;)
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform. New url!
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)