News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

I got my Tormek Tattoo! (Might be too graphic for weak tummy's)

Started by afx, March 12, 2013, 09:18:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

afx

a few days ago I finally got my first Tormek , I spent the next 2 hours reading the manual, setting it up, truing the wheel etc. I sharpened a plane blade I had been using and took it over to lap it on the strop. after I finished I reached over the machine to turn it off and either let the blade go or didnt notice what angle I was holding it on because when I pulled my hand back I felt that sting you get when you cut a nerve. I looked at my hand to see the blood streaming all over my freshly sharpened blade.

I was in the kitchen because I didnt want to wake the kid up in the garage (her room is adjacent). My wife was asleep so as I ran to the sink I yelled "BABE COME HERE I NEED YOU NOW" when she got in what do I say? "I cut my hand, get me my cell phone and take a picture  :P

The blade was so sharp it hit the bone (I can feel it today) and cut a nerve. I actually couldn't feel the entire finger for a little while.

I didn't go to the hospital because I stopped the bleeding pretty quickly, cleaning it was a bitch though becuse I still had honing compound on the blade. I dressed it for the night (so I could finish sharpening.........duhhh..) and put some Liquid Suture on it the next morning.

It's been a week since it happened and it appears to be healing nicely. It's going to be a great looking scar (my Tormek Tattoo)

I wish I had gotten some better pictures, essentialy the incision is about a quarter of the thickness of my finger totaling almost 2 inches. I'm lucky as hell I didn't do any tendon damage. I have full motion in the finger and the feeling has returned as well albeit tingly. One thing I got out of this is I LOVE medial CA glue, put it on a cut and you essentially dont feel it anymore, take it off and the little movements suddenly become painful.

Rob

If you cut a nerve I would keep a close eye on that with a view to a hospital trip!
Best.    Rob.

afx

I've cut nerves before (hundreds, possibly thousands 8)  ???) and I find the sharper the blade that cut it, the faster and better chance you have of it fully healing. I'm not terribly worried because the first night it was pretty much the whole top of my middle finger, today its only about an area the size of a dime (possibly smaller) and it's not completely numb, just tingly.

I think as long as I keep it clean and keep this awesome Liquid Suture on it, I should be fine.

Herman Trivilino

Ouch!  What a way to welcome yourself to the Tormek owners club!

The first time I had sharpened a mower blade, I mean the first time I got one really sharp, I was spreading oil over the steel to protect it.  I absent-mindedly drew the tip of my finger over the edge, and ouch!  But that was a very shallow cut, especially compared to yours.
Origin: Big Bang

nobby1967

lol years ago I chopped the top of my finger off with a hand electric planer. I forgot my self and put my finger underneath sole of planer to guide it like you would a hand plane. End of my finger looked like a raw bit of steak. Had a couple of weeks out of work. I was lucky that it was not too bad and did not need plastic surgery. I did have to use a special cream that had honey in it if I remember rightly I used  in the healing process.  I have trouble feeling small panel pins etc. in the cold it sometimes hurts.
I still have that old planer and every time I get it out I cringe at the thought of using it.
So please people look after your digits.

Herman Trivilino

Sorry to hear that about your finger, Nobby.  I hope it heals well for you.

Reminds me of the story about the carpenter who was cutting a sheet of plywood with a circular saw.  He felt underneath it to see if it was cutting all the way through!  They call him Stubby.

But, on a serious note, I've often thought of installing a safety switch on my table saw.  They were rather expensive last time I checked.  They shut the saw off and apply a brake as soon as you touch the blade.

grepper

afx,

An excellent post.  Thanks for once again reminding me...

I've noticed that when I get a new piece of somewhat scary equipment, that I am very careful.  Careful with its setup.  Careful with its safety features. Careful when using it.

But after awhile, I get very skillful in using it.  I think I know what to expect.

I think that the wood will pass smoothly through the blade.  I think the saw won't bind.  I think the drill won't bind. I think that I would never catch a piece of clothing. I think that tape works fine on that old electrical cord. I think the old ladder will hold up.  I think my footing is ok.  I think the chainsaw won't kick back...

I think everybody here knows exactly what I'm talking about. :)

I think I should say,

Thanks again, afx.

Herman Trivilino

afx

Thanks for the post mark, I'm really surprised how well its healed up, I've been using this liquid suture in the morning after I put some aloe on it and the best thing the liquid suture does is keep it moist. Not moist like wet but it keeps the skin from drying which causes it to shrink and open the wound a little more.  I highly recommend everyone go get a bottle.

Elden

Mark hit the nail on the head, squarely I might add.
Familiarity is our friend yet can be our enemy.
Elden

grepper

Much better than hitting the thumb squarely on the nail! :'(

nobby1967

Quote from: grepper on March 15, 2013, 03:17:32 PM
Much better than hitting the thumb squarely on the nail! :'(
Lol I've done that as well I was nailing some 4" wire nails into rafters I gave an almighty whack with my 24oz estwing straight on my thumb nail. I was so angry with my self I swung my hammer again with even more force to bang nail god damn only went and hit my thumb again nearly cried. Well the air went blue. Now I have a nail if it grows to long it splits.
Another lesson learnt the hard way.
I know a couple of people who had altercations with circular saws. not good.

Herman Trivilino

Please be careful out there Nobby.  When you get mad like that it's when accidents can happen.

True story (this time).  A carpenter on the same framing crew as me was standing on a saw horse nailing down a top plate.  He and his buddy had recently gotten into the habit of showing each other up by setting those 4-inch framing nails into the wood and then driving them home with only one whack.  Well, just as he had set the nail he began to loose his balance on the saw horse so as he was jumping off he tried to sink the nail with one whack so he wouldn't have to climb back up there again.

He struck the nail with a glancing blow and it flew point first into the pupil of his eye.  I saw him cry out in pain with that nail stickin out between his hands as he covered his face.

I don't know for sure but he likely lost that eye.  The crew leader was a subcontractor with Ryland Homes who had just begun a policy of requiring proof of insurance.  He was trying to get up the necessary deposit to get the insurance so he started withholding insurance premiums from our paychecks.  We were all quite surprised to learn that there was no insurance for this poor guy.  The crew boss ended up in jail, and of course none of us ever worked for Ryland Homes again.  Well, at least not in that subdivision.

P.S.  Didn't know Estwing made a 24 oz.  We always used a 22 oz or a 28 oz Estwing.  The latter being made for a man. 

And yes, my 24 oz Estwing still hangs proudly in my garage.  It's basically a mini sledge hammer to me now.   ;D

nobby1967

The accidents I mentioned above all happened over 20 years ago.
I have few estwing Hammer 2x 20oz round claw leather grip 1x 20oz straight claw or framing if you like and 24oz long shaft rubber handle.
I don't use them much of late as the job I am doing is pretty menial low paid. I fit office furniture more nuts and bolts and Mdf chipboard.
I want to get make something out of wood but I don't seem to get enough time. I don't have lot of space either.
The time I do get I enjoy sharpening my tools. At least when I do come to make something have sharp tools to do job.

Herman Trivilino

Quote from: nobby1967 on March 17, 2013, 12:09:23 AM
The accidents I mentioned above all happened over 20 years ago.

The one I mentioned happened over 30 years ago.