News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Start with a Sharpie and a chisel

Started by Ken S, March 09, 2013, 08:41:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken S

Here is a thought for our stickie file:

I believe the beginning Tormek user should start with a Sharpie marker and a chisel.  I state this recommendation for all new Tormek users, not just woodworkers.

Specifically, I would recommend an Irwin 3/4" Blue Chip chisel.  These are readily available and not expensive (presently $8.51 at Amazon).  Blue Chips, formerly made by Joseph Marples of England (now part of Irwin) have been a solid chisel for many years.  The steel is well made carbon, ideal for the Tormek SG wheel.  They are a good working length, not excessively long, but with plenty of sharpening area.

The sides are ground square to the back with no rounding over to interfere with flattening.  These are an excellent learning tool as well as a very good user.

I recommend learning to sharpen a chisel first because it is the simplest edge tool.  It is ground square.  There is no camber to grind like with a plane blade.  Only one bevel is ground, unlike a knife blade.  The chisel fits easily in the basis SE-76 jig.

General chisel sharpening uses the coarse wheel setting, fine wheel setting, and leather honing.  It requires learning to be able to set a bevel and work square.

I believe when a new user can consistently sharpen a chisel well, he will be ready to move on to whatever tools he requires.

The use of the Sharpie marker for setting the bevel angle is well covered in both the handbook and Jeff's videos.  A dedicated sharpie should be kept with the Tormek.

Do not be hesitant to sharpen the Blue Chip chisel many times as part of the initial learning process.

Ken

Elden

Excellent Ken. For anyone like me that gets an old outfit with a SVH-60 jig instead of the SE-76 square edge jig, Jeff has placed the following helpful information:

http://www.sharptoolsusa.com/squareedgeweb.pdf

I believe it also will help with the problems encountered with SE-76.
Elden

Herman Trivilino

I agree that a chisel should be the first tool sharpened.  In my opinion the knife is a greater challenge.
Origin: Big Bang

Rob

Best.    Rob.

Ken S

Very good post, Elden.  Not only is the information quite good, it indicates awareness of a problem with keeping edges square.

I agree, Herman. It makes sense to me to become proficient with the most simple of edged tools, and then build on that proficiency.

Ken