News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

IUE: (Initial User Experience) It can make a mess!

Started by grepper, March 07, 2013, 10:59:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grepper

This thing can make a mess!  I found an 18" x 26" stainless tray works well to contain the mess.

It's sitting on one of those white composite tables from an office supply store. The table surface is slightly rough.  The fine gritty slough was very difficult to remove from the table surface.  Household cleaners didn't touch it.  Electronics cleaner dissolved and cleaned it instantly.  I suspect, but have not verified,  that it's the naptha in the cleaner that was the solvent.

Rob

Good idea

I sit mine on a towel folded because that helps to give purchase to the table as well as soak up the spillage.  I would never sit the Tormek on a decent surface without it being covered
Best.    Rob.

Ken S

I started in my garage.  After moving, I now use my basement shop.  A towel is a good idea, as are the magnetic bumpers to raise the side opposite the wheel.  At first not having a level horizon offended my sense of order.  Once I finally broke down and tried the risers, I don't notice the disharmony.  Being not so thrifty, I upgraded to the new water trough, which catches more of the mess.  I recommend the upgrade. 

You guys who set up in the kitchen are either single or very nervy!

Ken

grepper

One reservation about the towel idea is that it would retain moisture that would evaporate up through the machine, increasing humidity around the motor, etc.  Depending on the composition of the surface that it was sitting on, moisture retention might muck that up too.

I guess the latter would only be a consideration if you cared at all about what it was sitting on. :)

Herman Trivilino

I had a scrap piece of vinyl flooring left over from redecorating the bathroom.  I glued it to a piece of scrap plywood I had that measures about 2 ft by 3 ft.  I wrapped it with some scrap pieces of pressure treated cut-offs that measure about 1/4 inch thick and one inch wide.  Thus they sit proud of the surface about 1/4 inch, forming a lip to catch any water.  On my table saw I have a cover, and then this platform sits atop that.  Makes a good base for the Tormek.

Origin: Big Bang