News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

GSM (Getting Started Manual) ideas

Started by grepper, March 09, 2013, 12:19:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grepper

Jeff has generously agree to make the GSM sticky.  "You guys start the threads and start populating them. I'll make them stickies."  Thanks Jeff!
http://forum.tormek.com/index.php?topic=1543.msg6001#msg6001

Just for simplicity can we call:

General Tormek Questions (Board)
       cheap tools for learning (Thread)
        cold chisels (Thread)

It really does not matter what we call them, just that we are all on the same page.  If anybody wants to call them differently, great, but let's all agree on something!

Would it be a good idea to discuss what threads would comprise the GSM before just punting them out there?  For example:
     Knife Sharpening
     Honing
     Wheel Maintenance

Without some upfront organization we could easily create a mess.

Ideas?

grepper

A little preliminary caution.

It's never bad idea to consider all of the angles.

It's always possible that despite best efforts, we could end up creating an unhelpful mess!  In that case Jeff could just delete the new GSM threads and things would simply return to as they were before.

If this goes forward, and someone creates a masterpiece to add to the GSM, it might be a good idea to have a copy on their own computer so that it could be reposted.

Ken S

If someone should happen to create a masterpiece which ends up as part of an unhelpful mess, maybe the "masterpiece" should be deleted.  I say this as someone who has contributed several ideas for this project.  I am fully aware that presenting them to the forum for review and revision should help the good ideas develop and the less than good ideas will hopefully be constructively criticized and fade away.

I would think the entire project should fit onto one page.  (two at most depending on how much in included.)  Links to more detailed posts would be helpful.

Ken

grepper

I was looking at it more from the point of view that if you have put a bunch of effort into some computer file, it's always a good idea to keep a backup!

I probably weirded it a little wordly.

Elden

Sounds like someone's tang is tongueld! ;D
Elden