News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Modifying the Universal Support

Started by Herman Trivilino, March 04, 2013, 03:11:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elden

I figured that if there was any flat left on the crest of the threads that would be for the better because of the USB locking screw. But there wasn't enough difference in the diameter to make a noticeable flat area. I am sure that it did thread easier with the 1/2 vs. the 12 mm.

Quote from: Herman Trivilino on March 04, 2013, 10:05:33 PM
Yes, it was a lot cheaper, but what are you using as a substitute for the micro adjuster? 

I originally had a nut that I welded a flat washer to, but am just using a plain nut at the present.

In regard to the hex die, I was referring to the external surface (the outside) of the die. With the round one, which only had one dimple for the set screw of the die stock, I couldn't get the die to rotate a full turn because of the second leg of the USB. By using the hex die, I could slip the die stock off the die and reset it in another position on the die so as to continue the thread.
Elden

Herman Trivilino

Quote from: kb0rvo on March 05, 2013, 04:07:22 AM
I originally had a nut that I welded a flat washer to, but am just using a plain nut at the present.

I don't have a welder.  Had to use bondo.  ;D

Origin: Big Bang

Ken S

Herman, I applaud your Yankee ingenuity.  With embarrassment, I must admit I chose a less noble path when I needed another adjustment nut. Instead of Yankee ingenuity, I chose to use Yankee dollars.  I ordered a replacement part from sharptoolsusa.  (from the sharptoolsusa website>Tormek>replacement parts>T7)

66   US-105N Adjusting nut with scale for Universal Support   1   $ 7.00

While it was not the course of least cost, the nice people in Missouri gave me excellent service, even though I used Yankee dollars.

Ken

ps You are certainly picking up steam.  You have blasted through senior member, and I look forward to you becoming the first hero member from Texas!

Herman Trivilino

Ken, I hadn't realized spare parts like that were available.   $7 is a good price for that micro adjust nut.  I doubt it would fit my homemade threads, though.

You have inspired me to buy a couple extra parts.  I bought the adjuster knob for the knife jig as it'll work much better as a set screw for the universal support than my home made dimmer knob.  It's the same as the original, except it has a longer shaft.

I also bought a new angle setter for my angle master jig.  After years of use it's gotten worn away from rubbing on the grindstone.

Herman Trivilino

Quote from: Ken S on March 05, 2013, 12:08:41 PM
ps You are certainly picking up steam.  You have blasted through senior member, and I look forward to you becoming the first hero member from Texas!

Thanks.  There's been a flurry of activity on this board lately.  Unprecedented.