News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Inspiration

Started by Herman Trivilino, March 02, 2013, 12:34:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Herman Trivilino

All the new traffic on the forum, including the talk about reshaping bolsters or whatever those anatomical terms are for the knife parts, has inspired me to reshape some of my knives.

We have an assortment of paring knives and I just finished sharpening all of them.  I used the dry grinder on some of them to remove steel from various places and to straighten out some of the cutting edges.

Thanks everyone.

I was able to free hand and get some pretty nice edges on some really old and worn paring knives.
Origin: Big Bang

Rob

Excellent Herman.  Well done

Best.    Rob.

grepper

Way to go Herman!

I had to remove some of the return on this knife after I created a new tip.  Some idiot, (me), had over sharpened the edge so that it was concave towards the spine and would not lay flat.  A real problem for chopping with a chef's knife!

I removed a little of the return next to the heel, and a little from the tip and... bob's your uncle! :)  Perfectly serviceable now.  Another edge tool saved by the Tormek!

Elden

That's great Herman! Now I'll have to go study the diagram of knife parts and memorize them so I can keep up with the use of the terms!
Mark, the knife looks great!
Elden

Rob

How do attach a piccy to a post Mark?
Best.    Rob.

grepper

There are two way to attach a pic.

1.  Link to a hosting site. Get yourself a free Flicker or PhotoBucket account, etc.  There are a ton of them.  Search Google for "free picture hosting" and pick one that appeals to you.  Then just post a link to the pic, like:

www.MyFreeHostingSite.com/mypic

Or your can embed the pic like above, using the Insert Image button just below the B bold button in the editor that you use to type this stuff.  It will add an [ img ]  [ /img ] to the text.  Then just put the link to the picture between them like:
[ img ] www.myfreehostingsite.com/mypic [ /img ]

(I added spaces before/after the brackets in order to display them)

The site where you host your pictures will usually provide you with a link, but if not go to the picture on the site and see if you can copy the link from your browser.

It would be nice if you could directly upload images to this site, but probably because of space reasons, it's not allowed as far as I can tell.

Hey Jeff!  Can you make it so we can upload attachment/pics?

grepper

kb0rvo,

That is the knife before the tip was repaired and the edge flattened.  Looks a lot better now.

Rob

Thanks Mark. I have an account with Dropbox, that would do it I dare say

Ill try when I get chance
Best.    Rob.

Elden

Mark, I didn't look very well did I?   :-[  Now I see the broken tip. Before, I thought was just the edge of the picture. The heel, return section doesn't appear to be too bad. Please post an "after" photo.
Elden

grepper

kb0rvo,

http://www.screencast.com/t/xO5ncMNLs

Here's the thread I started about it:
http://forum.tormek.com/index.php?topic=1516.0

I had not flattened the edge yet, but the tip is fixed.  :)

Rob

Mark

I joined photobucket to upload pics as you say. Dropbox doesn't seem to have an open share facility that I can see

I've uploaded a couple test shots but look what happens when I try and link them here

Best.    Rob.

Rob

Trying again with img link code this time

[/img]
Best.    Rob.

Rob

Best.    Rob.

Rob

Best.    Rob.

Rob

Best.    Rob.