News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

help on first use.

Started by fraseman999, February 28, 2013, 10:41:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fraseman999

Hi Folks,

Finally got my T7 today.

I have a few questions that i would like to ask, and yes they probably have been answered already but i can't find them.

1. Should the grindstone need trueing when its new, i thought not, and although i have sharpened 6 bevel edged marples chisels to razor sharp, i am
struggling to keep them square. One side of the stone seems to catch more than the other. The chisels are square in the jig. Any tip

2. The problem is exaggerated far more with my plane iron. So much so that i am going to have to try and square it back up with my dmt stone!

I am however very pleased with my purchase. The edge on the chisels are amazing.

Hope someone can help, thanks in advance.

Fraseman999

Mike Fairleigh

You might want to go ahead and take a light pass with the truing tool just to be sure your stone is parallel with the support.  But in any case, one of the foundations of using the Tormek (at least for me) is to remove the tool from the Tormek every few passes, especially when first starting to form the bevel, to check your progress and to be sure steel is being removed straight and in the correct area.  As we've discussed in past threads, even the tiniest variations in the long edges of your chisel/iron/whatever can cause crooked grinding, and even the highest-end tools can have those variations.  I've found that a good 3" engineer's square is indispensable when sharpening at the Tormek, so much so that I invested in a 3" stainless steel Starret to be kept with the Tormek at all times.

Some of this is touched on in this thread: http://forum.tormek.com/index.php?topic=1453.msg4691#msg4691
Mike

"If I had 8 hours to chop down a tree, I'd spend 7 sharpening my axe."  --Abraham Lincoln

Rob

The thread quoted there is really useful and clearly articulates the potential wrong turns you might take even if the chisel is actually square in the SE76.

Oddly enough I've always used a square too and marked the bevel to check for even grinding. So it seems a few simple solutions can overcome the inherent weaknesses

One really important point to make Fraseman is this forum. It's indispensable as a learning aid as you get more involved with using the T7. I've owned mine for 5 years but only recently discovered this amazing knowledge and information resource. Check back frequently and report your progress. The folks here are really helpful

Rob
Best.    Rob.

Ken S

Welcome, John.  I second the good advice from Mike and Rob.  Find a good chisel and practice on it. Don't spare the Sharpie marker. Don't hesitate to sharpen and dullen it several times.  This will help give you a feel for the Tormek.  Don't be in any hurry.  Give yourself the chance to listen and feel the changes.  Practice until you can sharpen this chisel consistently.  This will give you a base to build on.

I used the dresser with a light pass on my Tormek when I first set it up.  I believe this is considered good practice with any grinder and wheel to synchronize them.  Make the pass very light.  You should be able to hear and feel when the dresser is cutting against the entire circumference of the stone. if you need a second pass, do so.  Keep them light.

Bypass these initial learning steps at your peril!  Going slow is the quickest way to become proficient.

Keep us posted.  Good grinding.

Ken

Herman Trivilino

If the grindstone is not true all your efforts at getting square ends on your chisels will be wasted.

Go ahead and true the grindstone but try to remove the smallest amount of material possible.

Keep your eye on the chisel as you sharpen it, you will have to put extra force on one side or the other as you sharpen it to keep it square.  Good light is essential to being able to see what you're doing.
Origin: Big Bang

fraseman999

Wonderfull advice thanks to all.

fraseman999

Rob

And most importantly, keep checking here.  This forum is like a living extension to the manual multiplied by sixty million  8)
Best.    Rob.